AGMs, voting and shareholder benefits

Apologies if already covered.

Given that shares are held in nominee accounts, will Freetrade be able to vote on the likes of Unileverā€™s relocation on behalf of users with shares in that company? Aviva were vocally against that Unilever plan, so spoke on behalf of all its pension customers. If so, how will Freetrade make decisions on how to vote? Or are the shares held by another broker higher up who would be doing that?

Secondly on the likes of AGMs and shareholder benefits, will there be any process for users to attend (if permitted by the company since that varies)/take benefit of these? This seems to differ between stockbrokers, so was wondering what Freetradeā€™s policy will be.

1 Like

Your last point is covered at the end of this. Basically ask in app for now

Not sure how AGM would work but presumably the same

3 Likes

Does Freetrade have anything for AGM voting?
I personally donā€™t want to go to other companies AGMā€™s but Iā€™m curious if Iā€™m able to vote via Freetrade? Ideally some sort of proxy vote through Freetrade.

Bonus points for being able to do this in app in the future! As this platform is growing fast, I wouldnā€™t want new investors to be unaware of their opportunity to vote.

Currently though, how do I vote at a companyā€™s next AGM?

3 Likes

Free trade should add this. I get it through Trading212. Improves the investor experience.

2 Likes

I can do it for US assets on Orca now as well as Stake.

Agreed. Itā€™s part of the shareholder experience. Also some corporate actions take place because of these votes.

I appreciate itā€™ll take some work on the part of freetrade, but please do this as soon as possible.

1 Like

The below post by Francis indicates a bit about what looks to be going regarding corporate actions.

1 Like

Not sure whether this will help launch shareholder voting any faster. However, I noticed that Interactive Investor appear to use an integration with a third party company called ā€œproxyvote.comā€ in order to handle company AGM votes, etc. within their site. It looks like a fairly simple light integration, but itā€™s quick, simple to use and it does the job.

I just thought that Iā€™d mention this as it would be good to get shareholder voting added sooner rather than later and this might be a fairly simple way to do it.

Matt

Any updates on this please? Iā€™m keen to participate in any AGM votes, and especially takeover votes.

2 Likes