Does buying a share on freetrade mean I can go to the company's AGM?

E.g. Debenhams or McDonald’s?

1 Like

I think the rights associated with a share remain the same regardless of the broker you choose to use to buy the shares. So I would assume you could attend. Whether you would have voting rights or not

More on this in the following link

2 Likes

As Raul says, owning these stocks would enable you to attend in theory. But I’m afraid you won’t be able to attend company’s AGMs at the moment, although we’ll consider enabling this sort of thing in the future. Unfortunately this requires a lot of administration so while we’re a small company, we’ll focus on prioritising other things instead. We’ve explained some of the challenges in more detail here -

5 Likes

Hey

How do Shareholder vote and AGM attendance work with shares purchased through Freetrade?

Do you have to have x amount in order to be able to vote and attend AGM’s?

1 Like

Hey

We’ve shared some info about AGMs & voting in this topic so I’ve moved your post over. I hope that helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

On a similar note, are we able to get shareholder perks? For instance Fullers and Greene King have shareholder discount cards for large holdings. I believe it is up to the shareholder to contact the registrar to claim.

1 Like

Not at the moment I’m afraid -

2 Likes

My aim is to turn up to a big company like Coca Cola with my 0.001 fractional share displayed on my badge. Maybe veto some new drinks flavours as well.

8 Likes

It could be an alpha perk, when holding>X :man_shrugging:

Why is this marked as ‘Solution’? It is a reply, but a rather dissatisfying one.
As a shareholder one has voting rights, which is the core concept of share ownership.
The whole world is moving more towards active ownership and you are simply saying ‘no’ we are not doing it?

2 Likes

It’s marked as solution because it fully answers the initial question.
Most brokers do not offer this. Expecting it from a start-up in this phase of development is imho not realistic. It would be great to see it eventually though.

2 Likes

It would have been nice to make this clear / more transparent. I had to dig through the forum to find the answer. There is nothing on the website or in the app.
I understand that it might be unrealistic to guarantee the rights attached to the share for every single one. But to say outright we are not interested and there are more important things is in my view problematic.
One could think about a solution where you could attend / vote on three holdings a year in the UK. It is a continuum and not black and white

1 Like

Hey @cfbiehl, we have moved on slightly since this question was originally raised.

If you are looking to vote in a specific meeting or even attend, this can be arranged. I’m afraid there isn’t an in app automated solution available at the moment and this only applies to UK based stocks but we are looking at some options for this.

If there is a meeting you’d like to vote on, please send us a direct message via the in app chat.

You can also find some more information here:

7 Likes

Great thank you (y)

1 Like

Future customer (based in France) who would love to be able to attend a TSLA shareholder meeting one day. :rofl:

1 Like

Why would you? It’s a waste of time, especially if one’s holdings are insignificant enough to cause the votes go the other way. It only starts to make sense if one has 5% stake in the company. Normally one wouldn’t be using retail brokers for that, and especially not the nominee accounts. Instead one would be operating CREST accounts in their own name. Or more likely via a family investment office.

More likely scenario is to submit votes by proxy. For example for Nationwide Building Society AGM I submit my votes electronically ahead of time by proxy, instead of wasting days trying to sort out attending the AGM in person.

3 Likes

I don’t care about the votes. I just want to be there. It’s an experience. Call me a fanboy if you want. Haha

With my current broker (DEGIRO) I have the option to pay 100 Euros for the right to attend a shareholder meeting. It’s expensive, but yeah, if you’re already planning a trip to the US where attending said event is part of the trip, that’s not that significant a cost, all things considered.

2 Likes

Was a good networking opportunity, but fewer shareholders attend now. Also the chance to ask questions withiut these being screened beforehand

Interesting. Tried spot checking and this popped up

The bank also said that the chair and CEO will not be giving speeches. UK bank HSBC has become the latest to announce that shareholders and “non-essential personnel” will be barred from attending its annual general meeting in person this year, due to the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

1 Like