Alphabet - GOOG - Share Chat

You see I was thinking this but the market has really beaten a few companies into the ground recently when much of what they reported wasnā€™t hugely different from analysts or guidance (when adding the current market conditions into account).

I noticed the hiring freeze and wonder if theyā€™re are layoffs to come?

I find Google such a confusing company, for everything they do right I can see another they do horribly! These arenā€™t meant to counter each other from a value perspective just an observation on execution.

Waymo - Google Pay
You tube - YouTube music / Google Music / Google Play
Search - Hardware (excluding pixel phones)
ML & AI - Google Duo / Google Meet

3 Likes

Good point @NeilB. You are right. I donā€™t think it is as simple as saying ā€œthe market has priced recession into any stockā€. Why did a lot of stock rise in the first place? Well the accepted wisdom in some circles is something to do with productivity, profitability and so and so forth. Well it turns out that is not the case. And this may also be true for the topic of this thread: Alphabet. The reason we saw all the recent highs was cheap money. Cheap money flew and stock turned downwards. If you see whatā€™s happening on the money markets you realise that there is considerable hedging going on and the problem for bankers/traders is that they are unsure how quickly and (at what level) interest rates will change. Growth funds canā€™t react by selling stuff quickly as it will result in a panic and they will go down faster - % management fees burn burn burn.

There is a good post by @101 What is going on today? - Megathread - #2276 by 101 (he has others on this theme). The things he says will make many people feel uncomfortable but people should really reflect on what he is saying: in summary the decline started long time ago and has continued for various reasons and may continue much further. You donā€™t have to be an expert in macroeconomics to realise that once cheap money disappears money will be moved out irrespective of how well the businesses are doing (I am talking about the whole market here rather than specific businesses - of course the short term returns might be very good on some businesses). The markets could have done all this one year ago i.e. they could have priced all this in one year ago and they did not ā€¦ the evidence is in the long slide.

Ok. So for those that donā€™t get any of this and want to know what to do ā€¦ well it may be the answer is given to us by the sage of Omaha. What has he always said? Invest in the business not the share price.

1 Like

Iā€™d say there are things that are still fairly high. But a lot of things are underpriced.

Personally, Iā€™m filling my boots where things look cheap. Iā€™m in it for the long term.

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting for earnings but will buy GOOGL regardless of the outcome as long as its under $108 (Up 2.3% on my newly open GOOGL position)

1 Like

Bagged some GOOGL at $108 and $105. Being cautious because this time last year is around the time the FED started thinking about increasing rates.

I did the same thing too glad I did lol

My overall portfolio is down 30% though :cry:

Hey folks, your recent 20:1 stock split was in the form of a dividend if Iā€™m not mistaken? How was this recorded on your statements?

There isnā€™t anything in the activity feed, I donā€™t think splits show up there at all. This is fine I got a notification message about at the time it happened and afterwards it doesnā€™t really matter so itā€™d just be clutter.

2 Likes

Cheers for replying, I find it strange myself that these donā€™t appear on statements :confused:

I donā€™t think it was a dividend they just divided the stock price by 20. If you had exactly one share before you got twenty the value remaining the same.

1 Like

It was a split in the form of a dividend. Neither your account, nor likely the last notification received by you reflects this but check the first notification you received and itā€™ll likely say dividend

No it wasnā€™t it was just a share split

https://www.financialexpress.com/investing-abroad/featured-stories/google-announces-stock-split-check-ratio-record-date-of-alphabets-one-time-special-stock-dividend/2424654/

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/how-to-play-google-parent-alphabets-20-for-1-stock-split-202207121534

The distinction doesnā€™t really matter they are functionally identical.

2 Likes

The articles wording is weird but they clarify at the end. You receive a dividend in the form of 19 stocks for every 1 stock held. Not a cash dividend.