AMA: Ask our CEO Adam your questions about our upcoming crowdfunding round šŸ—£

Iā€™m not sure if I should post a question here, nor is my question directly related to the crowdfunding, but I was wondering if there are plans to create a web version of the application? Is this crowdfunding likely to contribute towards something like this?

I know quite a few people who enjoy trading stocks, but do not have the ability to use a mobile phone in their 9-5 jobs.

Cheers,

Alex

3 Likes

How do you plan to make any money off the users who only use basic orders and do not pay for an ISA or for Alpha?

1 Like

Hi @Alex-r89
Feel free to follow the link and vote
ā˜‘ [Feature Request šŸ”§] Desktop/Web Interface

2 Likes

Hi Adam,

I donā€™t have a question, just wanted to let you know I love what you & your amazing staff are trying to achieve.

Viva la stock broker revolution :freetrade:

12 Likes

Where do you see free trade going in the next year, 3 years & 5 years?

6 Likes

I used to see VC firms as pure evil but I listen to the 20 minute VC a lot and see the value they can add in many situations. At the moment Freetrade has first mover advantage in the U.K. and there is an argument that large amounts of capital deployed at this stage could allow the team to take full advantage.

I get the attraction of bootstrapping a unicorn without VC involvement but, given the crowdfund ask is only 1 million ( and I appreciate theyā€™ll get way more), is the hiring and scaling going to be fast enough to avoid Robinhood or Revolut stealing your breakfast? There is an alternate path here where a large amount of capital is brought to bear and things scale faster. Iā€™m really interested to see how this round develops

8 Likes

Hi Adam :wave:

Thereā€™s a lot of people of the opinion that Freetrade should offer a roboadviser type service so people can just add money every month to a preselected bundle of etf, stocks etc. Are there any plans to offer something like this for those who just arenā€™t interested in researching and picking the investments themselves?

Happy Easter

14 Likes

Freetrade Adventure ā€œfundā€: 100% VWRL
Freetrade Build: 70% VWRL 30% VGOV
Freetrade Secure: 30% VWRL 70% VGOV

7 Likes

5 Likes

I know the 1.5% fee for exercising pre-emption rights isnā€™t levied by Freetradeā€¦ But is there any way to circumnavigate this?

Having said that I am not opposed to the fee itself, just the clumsy way it has been applied to existing investors exercising their pre-emption rights. The current choices are pay the fee, or accept dilution, neither is appealing. As such I would like your thoughts on how Freetrade can protect their existing investors from these after the fact charges.

1 Like

Iā€™d keep it simple and do something like:

• Freetrade Simple ISA

Which is 100% VWRL (or some mix with bonds if required - freetrade knows best). Iā€™m not convinced people know how to judge their lifetime risk in one moment, or that uk bonds are significantly safer anyway. Better to keep it simple - the whole point is the customer doesnā€™t want choices.

It could be a separate product aimed at people who have no idea what to invest in, donā€™t want to pick stocks etc. Just pick simple ISA, set up a monthly payment and watch your money grow. Itā€™d be a perfect offering for a freetrade-monzo integration too for the circa 2 million monzo savers not familiar with freetrade.

Since weā€™re asking questions, I guess mine is - what would you do to target savers who currently feel more comfortable with a robo-advisor? Would you consider offering some simple product like this?

2 Likes

Are you hoping to break your previous record on speed of funding? Seeing that total rocket up was something else.

2 Likes

Is there a cap on this round?
Why do you only offer B shares, and not A shares?
Do you plan on bringing in a VC? What is your general position on VC investment?
Why country will you open next?
How is Brexit affecting your business? When do you plan on opening a subsidiary in mainland Europe in order to avoid risks.
Can you share key metrics like CAC, #tx per user, #customers, #app installs, revenue, LTV?

1 Like

A ā€œstocks & shares savings potā€ provided by Freetrade, within the Monzo app could be great!

2 Likes

How much revenue do you make per user and what is the forecast for this over the coming years?

I have several thousand Ā£ā€™s invested through the app, but looking at the pricing schedule, I donā€™t think youā€™ve even made 1 penny off me. I only have a basic account and execute basic trades (Compare our plans | Freetrade). There are probably other users that are the same.

Are there other ways that Freetrade generates income, i.e. investing cash in accounts, selling user trading data? I belive Robinhood does both of these.

Is this article exhaustive in terms of how you make money? It states the ā€œmain revenue streamsā€ http://help.freetrade.io/about-freetrade/how-does-freetrade-make-money

Waiting for @adam

4 Likes

Itā€™s 8 oā€™clock, impatient much? :joy:

1 Like

Yes - incredibly. More excited to hear answers to everyoneā€™s questions

Exciting times

2 Likes

Could you explain more the European expansion?
How long it will take?
I am from Italy, will it be one of the first?
We have a huge market here unsatisfied by huge commission of banks.

1 Like

What % of customers do you model to be using ISAs and Alpha? While ~50% Alpha usage would be great subscription revenue, do you see this as being realistic over time?

Whatā€™s the Break Even Volume of customers?

1 Like