Apple Pay top ups 🍏

AWW good point @saf I really don’t want to pay those 3-4% that AMEX charges. Hence would try to top up £5 first to see how all plays out. But at this point when I try to do Apple Pay it doesn’t let me use my AMEX and only shows my Monzo.

Have you tried changing your default card in Apple Pay?

1 Like

Same :frowning: Maybe it’s not possible with Amex for a good reason.

I just tried it and I think Credit Cards are not enabled. It just toggles to the next card, for me that was Starling.

@Freetrade_Team1 are Credit Cards usable?

2 Likes

Thanks for checking so I know its not just me. I know that Vanguard and HL have banned Credit Cards to fund accounts. Apparently it falls into the category of investing money which you technically don’t have… we all know that doing this is not very smart but from a responsible credit card user who loves the points it would be nice to have that option (as I am spending that money anyway for topping up my investment accounts). Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

Thank you FreeTrade. Saw the Apple Pay option on the top-up . Top up is not instant yet, it takes about ~45 mins.

Will introducing Apple Pay mean normal top ups will be faster?

1 Like

No, it doesn’t affect our process for bank transfers at all I’m afraid.

On the other hand, our new investment platform will enable us to improve bank transfers in the future :wink:

2 Likes

Will there be a limit on Google Pay when it’s introduced?

What improvements will you be able to make? Are you going to be able to automate them? If there as a low predictable delay they’d feel a lot more smooth - this is the one bit of the app I find a bit frustrating at the moment (and unfortunately Apple Pay doesn’t help because of limits).

1 Like

Yes, the same £1,000 lifetime limit will apply.

Yes, exactly that :zap: this may not be possible as soon as we switch to the new platform but like any good tech company, we’re aiming to get to a fully automated process.

2 Likes

What’s the point in a £1K limit? Assume it’s Apple limiting it for some reason, or being limited for a financial reason rather than technical?

Edit: Main reason I ask is because of the three deposits I’ve made so far, two of them have taken over 24hrs. So was going to use my work phone to top up via Apple Pay assuming it’d be quicker.

Freetrade pays a hefty commission on Apple Pay top ups, whereas bank transfers are free.

2 Likes

I would keep this option in case some stock on the watchlist drops super low and you need to buy it now. I keep it as a quick buy moment

1 Like

Then just allow users to do it but add a fee?

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t belive that Freetrade is a share dealing platform like the one you described.

It’s an investment platform.

It would be nice to see this, but the fee might be higher than people expect and would probably put people off. I don’t think they’ve said what the fee is, but if they pay say 1.4%, on £1000 that would be £14, which is not insignificant.

Would be nice to know what the cost is for freetrade and if it is capped at all as it might stop people asking for this. If it is high it’s probably better just to fix bank transfers so that they can be done with faster payments or in app using open banking.

Aren’t card surcharges banned in the UK?

1 Like

This is incredible team! Thank you loads!

1 Like