Are you not able to set Stop Loss and Limit Sell Order in the same stock?

Hi All,
I cant place a Stop Loss and Limit Sell Order on the same stock and order. Am I doing something wrong? Eg I already own 1 share which price is 10. I want to set a Sell Limit Order at 12 (meaning if price reaches 12 then sell) and at the same time also set a Stop Loss Order at 9 (meaning if the prices drops from 10 to 9 the Sell). I havent been able to do this with the same stock, I cando either one or the other but this is a pretty standard function so I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks in advance

No. Setting an action - such as a limit order - essentially “reserves” the stock, making it unusable in other ways. In the same way that putting a limit buy in place reserves those funds, making them unusable for other limit buys.

1 Like

you can’t set orders for more stocks than you own,
eg: 1 stock on a stop loss and 1 on a limit would require you to own 2 stocks total

edit: what @beermoneytrader said :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. That makes no sense though. I mean the option should be in the same order to be created.
I thought that was pretty standard.
Thanks again
pedro

1 Like

Never had a problem setting two limit orders (upper and stop) with my main broker.
Only one can ever execute at a time and the execution of one, cancels the other.

I don’t know who your main broker is but I assumed the OP was asking about Freetrade :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve just commented in another thread it’s not possible with Freetrade, I’ve tried as well, but it is possible.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.