Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

If you invest in stocks you need to take a totally different time-horizon. Days or weeks are irrelevant. You should evaluate after year(s). In the long term, companie and economies grow, in the short term, other factors drive markets.

Thank you! think Im going to try stick with ETFs, Decided to stick a bit into Metro Bank the day before the price completely fell

I am planning to make investment. I just read this free credit cards guide. It is the best and trustable guide for money management.

3 Likes

Freetrade! :freetrade:

4 Likes

Welcome! Youā€™re in the right place, Freetrade is a trustworthy & accessible platform.

Recommend you have a read through some of these :freetrade: beginner blogs, if you havenā€™t already, to quickly get up to speed on key concepts before you make your 1st investment.

Chris made a million before turning 40. Heā€™s also a blogger and has been following a disciplined research driven approach. CNBC has features his articles many times. Honest look at Wall St/The City, itā€™s about the mindset: https://chrisreining.com/category/invest-to-build-wealth/

Also, a life coach billionaire wrote this book for the masses after 2008 because Wall St doesnā€™t care much about the small or big investors - understand the game and psychology. Heā€™s also interviewed people who rarely give interviews. Knowledge is power and execution is everything. Itā€™s a fun read: best investment - only Ā£7.19 .

1 Like

Discipline :exploding_head::+1:

Ex-NBA player Matt Bonner taught his daughter about investing. His school teacher taught him about discipline:

ā€¦ā€œIf she gets money for her birthday, she wants me to put it in her account to buy more stocks,ā€ Bonner said. ā€œI think future value of money is such an important concept that people donā€™t understand. If you invest your money, what itā€™s worth 20 years from now is way more than what it is now.ā€

Bonner credits his investing acumen to his sixth-grade teacher, who gave students $10,000 in fake money to invest in the stock market. His class in Concord, New Hampshire, tracked their investments over the course of a year. Whoever made the most money received a trophy. She instilled discipline by prohibiting students from trading more than once a month, he said.
ā€¦
That was another stock tip he took away from his sixth-grade teacher, he said. ā€œShe said, ā€˜Thereā€™s always money in garbage.ā€™ And she was right,ā€ he said.

ā€¦

ā€¦ Bonner didnā€™t do any research when he and his 8-year-old daughter sat down to pick some stocks.

ā€œI wanted her to invest in something sheā€™s interested in,ā€ Bonner said during halftime of the Spursā€™ contest against the Washington Wizards on Saturday.

He explained to E.V.: ā€œWhen you buy shares of a company, you become a tiny owner of that company, and when the company makes money, then, in theory, you make money as well based on many shares of that company you own.ā€

3 Likes

I have a few stocks in profit (talking about not much money really) with some of them up by 27%, should I sell these stocks and make a profit? perhaps wait till the price drops to buy the stock again? Would it be a feasible strategy?

I would say it all depends what your strategy is; if your in it for the long haul or not?

If your investing for the future buy more in the dip if your happy with the stock choice. Also nothing wrong with selling at a profit if thatā€™s your strategy to.

Always dyor though itā€™s ultimately up to you :+1:t2:

1 Like

Why people invest in REIT? I ask because they have a considerable cost over time and I cannot see much capital appreciation. Do they pay dividend?

I ask because I did not like index or EFTs when I started investing in July, whereas now 50% of my portfolio is on passive index.

Reit are by law required to pay out 90% of their after tax profits, so youā€™ll have a fairly high and reliable ā€˜dividendā€™.

These things are really easy to Google thoughā€¦

Thanks, you are right.

If I can ask, do you think a fraction of a diversified portfolio should include REIT? I saw that the yield are particularly good, but they are also eaten by annual fees. So not sure they are a valuable assets.

Looking at the Key Investor Information for Ā£VUKE, it looks like thereā€™s a 0.09 % ongoing charge. If I buy a share in the Freetrade app, how is this ongoing charge actually paid? Is that something I have to worry about?

No itā€™s pulled from the value of the fund. You wonā€™t notice it.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I did check in the search but didnā€™t find anythjng. Does free trade offer the option of certificate or proof of purchase or sell in pdf format? I know before purchasing a house, many year ago, I put down a deposit and sold off some shares and funds in Hargreaves. This was then used as evidence to show where the funds came from.

Hi, you have a statement that shows in your activity feed every month that gives you the holdings and total portfolio value.

Can I extract this as a pdf instead of screenshoting?

It arrives as a PDF.

1 Like

I was just having a look at the Costs and Charges for Ā£IUSA and noticed that the transaction costs are actually negative? How does that work? I would expect the cost to actually take something away.

Hereā€™s the link: https://public.freetrade.io/costs_and_charges/IE0031442068.html