Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

Hi all,

I am fairly new to freetrade and investing in general.

I currently hold a GIA and ISA account with freetrade.

I hold apple in each of these accounts.

I had a dividend payment come into my ISA account last night however nothing has been received for the shares held in the GIA account.

Is this something that is normal or should i expect a payment into each account ?

Thanks for any advice given in advance.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you put everything into the ISA if youā€™re paying for it? Have you filled your 20k allowance?

2 Likes

The dividend process is something the team are planning to improve, itā€™s a bit patchy at the moment. I havenā€™t had my dividend in my ISA yet.

1 Like

Hi , thanks for your reply.

I opened the GIA account as a get started see what its all about type thing.

I am enjoying the new venture and i am currently selling up the few shares i have in the GIA account.

I am selling when they move into the green and not in any hurry to sell until this happens. In the mean time i am creating a copy of the GIA in the ISA and adding to the ISA.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Payments must be slow and should show up at some point in my other account.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Good plan. Its sounds like youā€™ve made a commitment to your ISA which is probably one of the best things you can do. Next goal try and max it out each year!

2 Likes

Newbie here looking to invest in some ETFs. I have a few in my watch list that I havenā€™t invested in yet as Iā€™m unsure what the best strategy would be.

I currently have a small holding in FTSE 100 the rest on my watch list are:

Ā£VUAG
Ā£VWRL
Ā£VFEM
FTSE dev Europeā€™s ex UK

Iā€™ve seen in other threads about overlapping etc, would this occur much on these. Any advice would be welcome as Iā€™m trying to learn.

Also is there a particular strategy for investing more in one than the other or equal? Or is that dependant on personal sector interest.

TIA

Hi @Plumplum1

It depends on how complicated you want to make it really?

If you want a globally diversified portfolio youā€™ll find many investors with the vast majority of their portfolio in VWRL. Itā€™s cheap and contains over 6000 companies.

Would there be any benefits to opening a GIA account before an ISA account?

Can someone just confirm something for me please regarding the ISA. Itā€™s obviously Ā£3pm and thatā€™s not an issue, I just want to check, is this Ā£3pm charged as a direct debit from your current account? or is it charged to your ISA account (e.g. if I have Ā£250 in an ISA account does Freetrade take Ā£3pm from said Ā£250?).

Looking to open up an ISA and just want to check the costs involved.

1 Like

The Ā£3 is taken by card payment each month for the ISA account.

I started off with an isa account. Didnā€™t necessarily start with a large amount but I suppose it depends on how much your planning on adding in to it & whether youā€™ll be staying within the allowance. It also saves you a job of switching over if it did get to that point. Saves you Ā£3 a month!

Apologies, I feel like Iā€™m being a bit dense hereā€¦so what youā€™re saying is it would come out of my current account every month?

My idea would be long-term for this ISA account, I wouldnā€™t be putting in a huge amount every month (maybe Ā£100-Ā£200 each month) but I donā€™t want to get to a point in 10-15-20 years time where I might be going over the limits and start paying taxes. No one wants to pay taxes when you donā€™t need to!

1 Like

Thats correct , basically the same as say a Spotify or Netflix subscription.

I plan to use my ISA in a similar way due to other financial commitment. Longterm i hope this will make life simpler.

Great, thanks for explaining that to me, I did think that would be the caseā€¦but just wanted to double check!

Anything to save me some hassle in the future!

Hi, I recently opened a GIA account and now Iā€™m thinking about opening an ISA Account, will my shares in the GIA move to the ISA ?
Thanks in advance

Hi @Buzz

UK rules are that only cash can be paid into an ISA. Youā€™d need to sell your positions in your GIA and rebuy them in your new ISA. I believe support can reset the buy price for your holdings to keep the same profit/loss.

1 Like

Thank you NeilB how do I get the support?

1 Like

If youā€™re a :plus_: user then live chat in the app. If not then email hello@freetrade.io

Donā€™t quote me on it but I think it could be done.

Digestible for someone who doesnā€™t know a great deal, I know the basics :blush: