Bitcoin - Crypto Chat

Not sure if legal tender makes it an official currency, legal tender just means it can be used as payment for a debt. It’s not the same thing as currency

1 Like

Yes they use dollar etc but it has a central bank :+1: it may not be theirs but it is based in a countries bank. I’m not certain of it to be honest but can’t see it being accepted as a tender with no base/central control etc.

Incidentally, Gold sovereigns are legal tender, but you pay CGT on gold profits. Legal tender has nothing to do with CGT

Edit: I might be wrong on that, sound like the rules are a bit complicated, some gold coins are exempt for UK residents only

1 Like

There is no gct on sovereigns or britannias in the UK as they are legal tender coins. cgt is payable on gold bars for example

1 Like

But that only applies to UK citizens, so I don’t see how making bitcoin legal tender in El Salvador would change things here

Rules on legal tender are pretty weird when you look into them, for example more than twenty pence in 1p coins is not legal tender

1 Like

No one has to except any form of payment, its completely up to the seller.

1 Like

El Salvador is a very dodgy country so don’t read much into it…

It will be a great case study for other countries as time goes

1 Like

You get one good story about Bitcoin and then a bad one pops up straight after :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I have some sympathy with their message in particular how a person in a position of power wields that power.

1 Like

The crypto crowd liked him when he was pumping their coins though

2 Likes

That is the nail on the head :joy: :+1: Nobody was complaining when it rockets on 1 mans tweet but cry when his next tweet knocks it down but still higher than the gain from the first tweet.

It is mad it can happen but that is the nature of a stock with no institution behind it. It can be very good for gains but there is a flip side.

1 Like

If you base your buying and selling on what Elon says then you are your own problem and not very bright.

3 Likes

Unless you followed his advice to buy into Tesla when it first went public…

El Salvador has officially adopted Bitcoin.

3 Likes

Best idea is to invest in Mode or Argo. Get exposure to BTC but with substantially less downside as the businesses could flourish even if BTC starts (or continues…) to tank

2 Likes
1 Like

Can you imagine the hassle of not knowing how much your next weeks grocery shopping bill will be due to Bitcoin fluctuations :joy: :man_facepalming:

Elon sends a tweet and you can’t afford the loo rolls. :grimacing:

They’ve made it legal tender, not quite the same thing as adopting it as the official currency

1 Like