Coronavirus and Stock Markets - Thoughts?

Not everyone is reassured:

Probably covered above but are we all holding onto cash positions?

I’m building as much cash as I can going into the next isa season, had planned some home improvements but that’s going to be put on the back burner for the foreseeable. So many buying opportunities in the next 3/6 months here.

3 Likes

1 Like

South Korea’s approach to Italy’s → less than 10% of Italy’s fatalities.

2 Likes

when all this settles and it will, we will be on the bottom rung of a ladder that goes all the way back to the top and further. Tough times and a real tester and educator, but it’s life as a long term investor

Watching CNBC and this crash is literally unprecedented in the modern era. What a time to get introduced to the stock market, I’m just glad I had that 6 months education before this because I don’t know how I would have reacted without it!!

5 Likes

Every 5 minutes they show you an ad for some age-related health dysfunction.

Free Financials Markets TV with people who don’t drink 10 cans of Red Bull a day:

Archived free Bloomberg segments are on YouTube - filtered by “Uploads” for recent news:

Same with CNBC:

It was the YouTube segment I watched :smile:

NHL is pausing its season :ice_hockey: So is MLB :baseball:

Premier League said the games will go ahead.

eSports are affected: Overwatch, League of Legends, PUBG, Dota 2, Counter-Strike…

Hearing now Melbourne will hold the F1 race without spectators. [Update: it’s officially cancelled.]

This chap is a Mercedes-backed young driver with a Renault contract and probably an expensive insurance package:

Anybody seen the data Channel 4 has been looking at reg. UK hospitality footfall? It’s worse than 2008…already.

I know that hotels around my area have been sending staff home from work early because business has become so slow that they’re not all needed.

What about indexing, in US (and UK too I think) on every payday money goes into indexes via pension funds, don’t know how much that is though. But I guess that amount cannot provide any lift at the moment.

We have L&G pension at work, there is no option to keep it cash when money gets deposited first but one can re balance though.

The peak might be 10-14 weeks away.

FT:

Absolute shitshow by the organisers*, from the sound of it. A firm decision should’ve been made when the McLaren staffer tested positive. Instead they dragged it out until the morning which was already after fans had turned up and were trying to enter Albert Park.

Really feels like it took pressure from the teams - Mercedes pulling out, and Ferrari publicly supporting a cancellation - for anyone to really take action. All the while many people have understood the race was effectively cancelled many hours earlier (BBC news first reported on it in the early afternoon UK time).

Already it feels like the whole season this year is going to be a washout. Will they really manage to run enough races uninterrupted to stage a credible championship?

*I grant that this one word consists of many groups in F1, which may have contributed to the difficulty.

It’s happened before. There’s reports that other countries like South Korea are doing this as well. I don’t think U.K. has ever done this, don’t expect they’ll start now either.

I won’t spam but this one video →

6 Likes

Is this another dead cat bounce today?

Potentially short sellers taking profit? Or a response to the various stimulus packages on offer.