Coronavirus and Stock Markets - Thoughts?

Hope you’re feeling better.

Although I’m not medically qualified, I have read that steroids weaken your immune system. If you’re already on them for ongoing condition, probably best to discuss with a doctor the best course of treatment if you get an infection.

I’ve been fortunate that paracetamol has got me through and I’m well on my way to recovery.

It was very frustrating.

They recommended not to take us to hospital, which would be the worst place to be with regards to infections, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

We were basically told to continue self isolating, as there is no cure. We knew that, but when it concerns your child the worst thoughts run through your head. All you want it certainty at that time, and tests would have been a god-send.

The paramedics didn’t have any test, they said even front line staff aren’t getting tested, but only those people who are in a really bad state, when it presumably would be too late.

Not having a go at the NHS. They have been nothing but brilliant, so were the 111 staff and the paramedics. At times like these universal health care is such a no-brainier. It just seems to be a shortage of tests, which I guess is understandable as the whole wants them. It does add to the fear factor though.

My son seems fine at the moment, bouncing around going bonkers like a five year old boy with cabin fever does. Just have to keep an eye on his breathing.

Thanks for all your well wishes.

11 Likes

So scary! I hope he’s ok and you too! Must be very stressful :frowning:

2 Likes

I only took them for 3 days to help my chest muscles relax etc. I have never taken steroids in other capacities because I’ve read similar things to you.

1 Like

Even Cirque du Soleil are laying off most staff. Hopefully most people get rehired by the same employers if those companies plough through this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-15/argentina-mulls-10-day-lockdown-to-beat-virus-president-says

It’s tough for investors to see this news and not feel overwhelmed about their investments, remember though, no matter how bad it is, the countries still have to recover and move on and grow. Albeit people’s habits will most likely be altered, hopefully towards the more environmentally conscious.

We’re looking like a 50% decline possibly slightly more all depending on the cure timeline and the cure roll out. 50% decline keeps arising as a possibility.

We all knew the next decline would be significantly faster due to technology being faster, let’s not make that another panic to worry about.

Dollar cost averaging appears a lot on this forum and that is one way of looking at things.

Peace out :v:t3:

2 Likes

I would agree that you have to be careful going back in now, as I don’t feel we have hit the bottom yet. Yesterday and today have been strong rallies, but they feel like dead cat bounces or bear rallies that are driven by sentiment around coordinated stimulus.

Today also an unusually large number of options seem to expire, which seem to aid the uplift.

I suspect Monday may be a bloodbath again as the sentiment has worn off and reality around growth of Corona cases has crept back in over the weekend.

6 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

Depends on how you look at. Between open and close, then yes. But high was 2928, low was 2788, so still a 5% spike in between open and close. Huge volatility.

Pubs bars and restaurants ordered to close by the government. I haven’t been going anyway but its very strange not having the option.

2 Likes

30 second read

https://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/hot-tips/

One BBC Radio host says people haven’t been listening to the advice about social distancing.

London’s Carnaby St is apparently mostly “shut” - including shops, Soho’s pubs are mostly closed, newsagents and off-licenses OK. Some pubs letting people finish their drinks. Source - BBC Radio.

Coffee/food places are takeaway only or closed.

Food and retail jobs

North California implemented the no-bars and cafes but takeaway “policy” first and, coupled with the work from home thing, it’s affecting many food and retail jobs, as plenty more people have been already laid off in other sectors:

Yesterday, the entire CA state implemented the same measures for safety reasons.

(FT site)

(from https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETK13lwXQAAhJ73?format=jpg&name=medium)

4 Likes

Interesting comparison:

4 Likes

Anyone looking forward to limit down(s) today or on Monday?