Disney - DIS - Share Chat

Jeez, that’s insanely good value. I’d be worried if I was Netflix.

P.s Self promotion - I’ve requested that we leave open stock requests purely for topics like this one.

2 Likes

The Hulu side of that is with Ads so it’s not as nice as first glance, but still a decent bundle together

1 Like

Rebooting Home Alone is a bold move. What do you make of their announced reboots?

The pricing for Disney+ is very competitive, look at this quote from Arstechnica:

The bundle will see three wholly owned Disney services—Disney+, ESPN+, and “ad-supported” Hulu—available as a combined online-streaming bundle once Disney+ launches in November. Separately, the services’ asking prices add up to $17.97 ($6.99, $5.99, and $4.99, respectively), thus marking a 27% discount for the whole shebang.

1 Like

My Disney Shares were about 10% up or more before the current downturn. As of yesterday they were one of the few things still showing green in my freetrade portfolio

I think they should still be up after US market opens as long as they don’t drop much more than they did after hours

3 Likes

I think the Disney model is so strong. Massive portfolio of well known and like brands/titles, the Marvel acquisition is a great play, and the fact they can earn revenue twice of the same plot (Lion King) shows really strong brand power and skill.
The subscription play is one to watch and is going to be very competitive, but they have a strong position with their current portfolio.

3 Likes

They also get revenue from merch for any movie not made by Disney studios, for example latest Spiderman. I think that good sources of diversification

1 Like

Request granted. :innocent:

I think @Vlad will do some merging tonight to move all stock discussions in their respective thread.

2 Likes

Disney would probably be a good subject for one of Toby’s stock take articles. They are massive and have fingers in so many pies

4 Likes

This infographic always comes to mind when people mention Disney (I don’t think it’s up to date though)

9 Likes

What a day! Free share reveal day & now this!

1 Like

I am very confident that the shares will go back up after those mad days. Disney+ and the new movies are coming so it still remains positive outcome.

1 Like

That is just incredible value and Disney know it. Chuckles me even more when I remember that Netflix is effectively funding Amazon’s competition through AWS. Can’t see the next few years bring kind to them…

I think Netflix needs competition to avoid becoming complacent. Amazon Prime’s offering is not too bad and Disney+/hulu/ESPN looks attractive on paper. All three can offer something different.

Execution is everything though.

Making content (movies, music) and building experiences (new rides) is extremely expensive. If they scale the whole thing well, hopefully the balance sheet won’t resemble ToysRUS and cash flow can become strong after initial heavy investments.

Netflix is also in the content-making business, so they are kind of neck-in-neck. Even though Netflix changed the entire industry and technically forced Blockbuster to close shop, they aren’t asleep at the wheel.

Netflix has had large off-balance sheet items which are obligations for the content they don’t own. Moving away from that by making Netflix originals has been a necessity. A bit like cost of sales/transportation costs for Amazon—by gradually replacing FedEx/UPS/etc with own fleet Amazon can reduce costs, having gathered the data and learned how to do shipping from those guys.

Netflix has been gathering all this user data using competitors’ content and can now invest in own stuff to make sure people don’t cancel the monthly sub. (which they make really easy).

Let’s also not forget how much of the US internet traffic is just people streaming Netflix stuff. The apps are slick because they’re a tech-first company, the brand is strong (“N and Chill” is a thing).

As for Disney, they’ve done really well so far, despite spending big bucks for “Instagrams” of the movie franchises:

They’ve just announced new plans for new rides, experiences, etc but, as investors, you have to ask—at what cost. As a consumer, I’d definitely want to visit Disneyland to see the Avengers, Star Wars, Guardians etc.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind at Epcot will feature the first reverse launch into space! This thrilling, family-friendly attraction will feature a never-before-seen storytelling coaster that rotates to focus on the action – wherever it may be.

Bob Chapek announced the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man will open at the Avengers Campus , beginning in 2020 at Disney California Adventure and later at Disneyland Paris.
Avengers Campus will also feature Pym Test Kitchen where Pym Technologies is using the latest innovations to grow and shrink food.

At Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, both children and adults will have the opportunity to face off against a training remote while wielding a lightsaber like Luke Skywalker did as he was learning to use The Force.

2 Likes

Another reason why Disney+ is after our attention.

Your phone is your TV. If you are not on mobile, you’re a fossil :sauropod: :t_rex:, says the data:

Our mobile phones are the number one screen for long videos. We all live in virtual reality :rofl:

If Comcast/Sky and AT&T/HBO don’t succeed, they’ll be broadband/telecoms companies only and be stuck in the utilities category.

Ooyala video index report for Q2 2018:

San Jose, CA – October 31, 2018 – Smartphone video starts topped 50% globally for the first time, a 13.2% year-over-year change and the largest in five quarters, per Ooyala’s Q2 2018 Global Video Index Report. Despite a temporary leveling-off in the first quarter of 2018, video plays on mobile devices (tablets and smartphones) surged 9.8% globally in the second quarter, exceeding 62% of all online videos for the first time.

“More content creators, seeing the trend toward greater long-form video consumption on mobile devices – a trend we’ve been noting since last year – are now developing content concurrently for multiple platforms and are transitioning beyond snackable mobile-only content,” O’Neill added.

Regional Mobile Video Viewing Trends

• In North America , mobile plays increased to 56% of all video starts, up 4% year-over-year and up 14% since Q2 2016; mobile starts in North America have exceeded 50% for eight quarters; long-form time watched on smartphones topped 75%;
  • In the Europe-Middle East-Africa (EMEA) region, mobile video hit 54% of all starts, up from 49% a year ago;
  • Mobile video’s share of all plays in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region was 74% – the highest ever, and up 64% in two years;
  • Latin America’s (LatAm’s) mobile starts topped 65%, an increase of 20% year-over-year and 38% over two years.

Source - https://www.ooyala.com/resources/news/press-releases/mobile-video-consumption-surges-again-q2-massive-uptick-looming-q3

1 Like

Personally I don’t get why anyone would want to watch anything on a 6" screen, but then I only bought my first smart phone so I could use Freetrade so I guess I fall into the Fossil category :laughing:

4 Likes

I thought I was fossil for having to buy a basic new android phone that runs the app.

3 Likes

I made a meme:

… the streaming push is expensive. Disney’s total costs in the quarter climbed to $16.8bn, up 50 per cent from a year ago. Disney’s direct-to-consumer business unit posted a quarterly operating loss of $740m on $3.4bn in revenues.

Disney’s results were boosted by strength at the cinema, where The Lion King remake made more than $1.6bn at the box office. Disney’s film studio saw revenues soar to $3.3bn in the quarter, up 52 per cent from a year ago.

Source - Disney readies for streaming war with forecast-beating fourth quarter

2 Likes

So chuffed I kept buying the dip :mouse::ok_hand:t3: Anyone else bullish on Disney?

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to take the leap in Disney for a long long time. I like the idea of their Disney+ which is driving me…haha had this as a saved draft here. A half-done draft at that. Well done @Jamie1088 I like many others are waiting for the dip

1 Like

I didn’t get mine as cheap, but I think there’s loads of growing still in Disney.

1 Like