Dividend yield and ex date

Nice work! Nothing boring about this :slight_smile:

Dividend notifications are coming soon to the app, so youā€™ll be able to see this information for the instruments you own there as well.

4 Likes

Cool. Do you have the source code up anywhere? I might like to take a look and see why itā€™s slow.

1 Like

Shucks! Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

You can actually upload youā€™re own portfolio and have it analyse dividends past/due/overdue too, but itā€™s a bit clunky so not subjecting the world to that pain just yet.

Other data points of interest? Volume seems to keep coming up - but LSE or CBOE? Live prices (well, 15 mins delayed)?

I guess I should try to do it for US divs now youā€™ve released the universe???!?!?!

2 Likes

Looks good.

How are you sourcing the data?

1 Like

Scraping. But with differing logic for ETFs, ITs and standard equity - the sources and cleansing are different for eachā€¦ hence the speedā€¦ and why I filter into batches of 25ā€¦ otherwise it will hang for minutes trying to logically extract the latest data.

2 Likes

Cache the data, either a HTTP caching layer, or much simpler try a key/value store. You could even generate html pages on a set schedule. But well done you shipped :+1:

Regarding scraping be careful, itā€™s a grey area, generally speaking itā€™s frowned upon.

ā€˜Shippedā€™???

Awesome! Iā€™m not Pieter Levels, but thanks!

It took less than 1 hour

2 Likes

That reminds me, IEX have a API covering US stocks Market Data & Connectivity | IEX Exchange | IEX you might want to look at :slightly_smiling_face:

Freetrade use this in some capacity

https://twitter.com/doddsie/status/1040182286124285953

3 Likes

Yes weā€™ll use that for our stock prices in the app, for US stocks.

2 Likes

Reading around their website, those guys seem pretty great. Is there an equivalent in the UK?

Where does Freetrade get their information for the existing securities from? Does Freetrade plan on having a public API for interacting with the platform?

Not as far as I know. IEX is a new exchange.

Freetrade use LSE and CBOE, both are paid for services from what I can tell.

Freetrade might offer a API, you can vote for a API here.

3 Likes

Ok, US divs going ex-dividend from about now

So assuming Freetrade make available US stocks in early Jan ā€˜19 then you can see the earliest possibility you have to ā€˜testā€™ this functionality. Cos, ya-know, youā€™re all nice people and lookin to help wherever you can!

Trade before Ex-date and hold over ex-date and the dividend is yours. For anyone that doesnā€™t know.

Didnā€™t use the IEX APIā€¦ Itā€™s fine but annoying at times, hacked other sources instead

Logos took longer than the entire data grab.

Http://www.fundfind.co.uk/FreetradeUS.aspx

5 Likes

Hey @dataNerd - this is great, thanks.

What were the other data sources you ended up using?

1 Like

Which stocks pay shares as dividends?

1 Like

Some other users have shared some tips for finding stocks that pay dividends here so Iā€™ve moved your post over, I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any questions :smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good question.

I have not seen any stocks offering dividend payments in the form of additional shares instead of a cash payout.

Perhaps it is possible on request for some shares? Or it is a valid payout method for dividends but is uncommon?

Some companies offer a scrip dividend option, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s available through typical online brokers? Possibly because the shares are held in a nominee account?

2 Likes

I would think itā€™s available for online brokers somehow because Freetrade shared a mock-up of dividends paid out as shares.

Seems like BP has a scrip dividend programme.

1 Like

I said that because I couldnā€™t figure how to do it in my Hargreaves Lansdowne account last time I looked (which was a few years ago)

I thought maybe you needed to have bought the shares direct from BP or whoever, maybe Iā€™m wrong though

1 Like

Rolls Royce pay their dividend in shares. But they donā€™t issue ordinary shares. Theyā€™re called C shares and canā€™t be traded like their other ones, so lumping them in with your other shareholding wouldnā€™t really make sense, unless youā€™re set up to automatically redeem them and buy ordinary shares with the proceeds.