Drop today

Has there been a big drop in share prices today? Or is just my portfolio

Rubbish day!!! Used the opportunity to buy US stocks due to higher GBP to USD rate and drop in US stock value

2 Likes

Ouch,

1 Like

Not just you, amigo! It’s across the board, US and Europe. They say ‘buy the dip’ but I’ve got no ‘dry powder’ left!

6 Likes

Yes true.! I’m here for a long time not a good time!

Yeah, I’ll see how my strategy goes, as it’ll be it’s first real test.

Basically, I have my target %age value for each stock, and I’m buying any stock where it’s under. If it’s over, I’m holding unless the price falls 1% below the last price I paid and then I’m buying £10 of it (which is much easier for US fractional shares).

I have a feeling this might be a bad strategy, as essentially I’ll be buying at high prices all down the dip, so I might end up buying more than if I just bought a fixed amount each day, but I’m also worried some stocks might drop a lot and then recover before I can buy the next day. So it might be better just to buy a fixed amount each day at a set time…

But my strategy is helped by the fact I’ve only invested less than half my ISA pot so far, as I’ve been investing about £400-500 a day since I started (with the £20k allowance from last year), so I’ve got a lot of wriggle room to buy in the dip if I think it’s a good time.

I spent March on a shopping spree using up the whole allowance, at one point I was +250… Today its - 450!

Would have been better off just putting it all on vwrl

Yesterday, I was up £315 (with about £8000 invested) since I started (aggregating my GIA and ISA). Today, it’s dropped to £9 since I started.

My portfolio dropped £800 from yesterday :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Was up £50 on Friday, am now up £18. Which will probably be wiped out tomorrow, or thursday. :man_shrugging:

Ah well, it’s only money!

3 Likes

And to put it into perspective, my drop from £315 profit to £9 profit for the month is still more than I’d have got in my savings account.

3 Likes

You could buy two reasonable bottles of wine from your local Scandinavian supermarket for that. You’re doing just fine, my friend!

3 Likes

Better off, but not as exciting! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s murder out there! Not sure which of the dips I should be buying :sweat_smile:

My portfolio is :red_circle: across the board. I am 6% down on what I’ve invested. I don’t think I’m very good at this :unamused:

A lot of red today indeed :woman_facepalming:t2:

My only green today is SOS which I had totally given up on :joy: