What is going on today?

Down 2% today!

I have a diverse portfolio and everything is down by at least 1%!

Still Trump/China issues?

Benchmark your portfolio with the S&P 500 or FTSE 100 that might help to see things from a numbers perspective.

2 Likes

When you say benchmark, do you mean just check them. FTSE100 is down 0.12%

I know it’s not easy but it’s healthier not to fret the day to day fluctuations.

9 Likes

Yes exactly and look into the overall shares within each index and see if you can identify what companies do OK/GOOD/BAD and see if you can put them into a sector or if the entire index is just down. I will usually see some that are up and others that are down and you can identify why things might be the way they are. I hope this is not too confusing :slight_smile:

What’s have you invested in so far? I’m about 0.2% down today

@ytsruh I was just suggesting that – haha you were a bit faster with a nice graph !

Imagine you bought some S&P500 30 years ago and wake up from a coma

Hey

My portfolio:

Persimmon - 6.11% Biggest loser today
Acacia Mining - 1.76%
Siruis Minerals - <1%
Taylor Wimpey - 10.29%
Centrica - <1%
Legal and General - 24.27%
F&C Commercial Property
Lloyds - 3.65%
G4S - 12.56
Aviva - 33.64%
BT - 2.83%

ishares S&P 500 - 2.60%
iShares Core MSCI - <1%
PIMCP short-term High Yield Bond - <1%

So all U.K. stocks? Perhaps diversify a lot more

4 Likes

Added the diversification by company

This is a good chance to share our blog post on diversification :grin:

5 Likes

Do you have the site up used for this stats. Looks nice

Also the falling value of the pound (down about 0.5% against the dollar) will favour those international companies as the value of their overseas earnings will be worth a bit more if paying dividend in pounds.

There are some decent dividend payers in there. I hold Aviva, L&G, LLoyds and Persimmon out of that lot, just for dividends really. Not too bothered about the day to day ups and downs

1 Like

Hey

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, i kinda regret buying into Persimmon. They were my first “big priced” share purchase, a grand total of 5! I think i will sell these if/when they turn a little profit and live for the div. TW I will keep.

Acacia & Sirius were my risky ones, long term investments.

Centrica - Only purchased 2 shares with some spare pennies i had in my account.

Aviva and L&G - Seem to drop then gain, will keep as the dividends are good.

Lloyds - will keep as I do belive in them.

BT - Think they will bounce back.

G4S - seem to be doing better than the rest and offer a good dividend.

Looking at Persimmon’s comp group, all the developers are down today. berkeley, Tw, persimmon etc. They all rallied yesterday after news of a potential 2nd referendum. Today market has more time to digest and seems to conclude that it isn’t really a sure thing. Same with banks - this sector will move with Brexit news.

Apart from the Brexit related news, i’m not a fan of Persimmon. They derive too much of their revenue from help to buy (like half). HTB probably will be scrapped and even if it isn’t, consumers will start to realise what a scam it is (ok scam is a strong word but still
). But then again, i’m already pessimistic about residential Real estate.

NOT A STOCK RECOMMENDATION

@oxfordmark
I work at a trading house based here in the UK and the devastating reaction to Teresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement Bill has put so much downward pressure on the GBP - which is near 6 month lows. Even if your GBP denominated portfolio earned 1% today but the GBP sunk 2%, you’ll look down for the day. I always try and separate the stock performance from the currency denomination. As suggested - maybe try diversifying outside of UK stocks so your whole portfolio won’t be so sensitive to the GBP exchange rate.

1 Like

What’s traderecord.io Becky?

1 Like

Hey @rod!

It’s a website I’m building. It’s a side project of mine and the goal is to incentivise people to learn and understand trading before they deposit money. Hopefully it’ll be up and ready soon!

2 Likes