Exclusive Stock upgrade - disappointing

First time posting. Conscious of the rules, but does anyone else think the recent stock upgrades to “exclusive stocks” is somewhat disappointing.

At least 5 of my current investments have been exclusivfied meaning i can not buy more without upgrading…

Happy to hear if anyone else has been affected by this recent “upgrade” or am I being sensitive to an obvious Freetrade drive for profit out of new and exciting stock options. :flushed:

3 Likes

Yes FT trying to bully you into “upgrading” to keep access to the stocks you want to trade. They did the same thing with US stocks but now Robinhood is coming for their asses turned to UK stocks.
Really bad move in my opinion. Surely better ways of generating revenue without pissing off your customers.
They sent out an email recently explaining the upcoming changes with a list of available stocks remaining on the Basic plan. All mixed up, no order (either by stock market or alphabetical), just a lump drop. Not impressed.

3 Likes

What’s included in the basic plan is listed here:

The list isn’t new.

2 Likes

Curious to know if those which are put behind the paywall are those which are traded more frequently on here…?

It’s more FreemiumTrade than FreeTrade these days.

But I’m fine with that. The free services serve a purpose if you want to keep it simple. And it is everyone’s interest for the company to make sustainable profits/cash flows.

5 Likes

Dont see an issue with it tbh

6 Likes

Bully is a bit strong, if they were forcing you to upgrade to sell then fair enough.

3 Likes

It stinks of a bait and switch tactic (sadly not the first time FT have done this and the main reason why the majority of my investments are elsewhere).

I completely get (as Ft shareholder) that FT needs to make money but it is caught in tough place with more competition on the market offering better features for less. If FT was either cheaper or had better features it would be in a much stronger position…

1 Like

No, it’s based on a criteria. UK stocks for example are the are based on the FTSE 350 and AIM 100

These are updated periodically (I think its every quarter)

This is simply wrong. UK stocks have also always been tiered since this new plan. see above.

Id be interested to know how exactly you think it’s a bait and switch?

6 Likes

As per the initial launch of the Basic plan, which you can review on the internet archive - https://web.archive.org/web/20220728134208/https://freetrade.io/basic-plan

Initially you only got 1500 stocks and ETFs, with this always having been FTSE 350 and AIM 100 (as mentioned above), just maybe not entirely enforced in the past, or the particular stocks being complained about have just done poorly and dropped out of these indexes.
This is currently 4700+ stocks, ETFs and OTCs, which alongside the commission free trading and only having to pay FX fees on European and US stocks, appears good value for a free tier, on a glance around I can only see one other broker that comes close to these low level of fees.

How this is a “bait and switch” on that basis flies in the face of the information above

1 Like

Mast has now been moved out of the GIA so you have to upgrade to the paid version to invest in this further. I’ve had this account less than a year so it is the first time it has happened and I am disappointed by it. No warning, no reason given or anything. Considering moving to another platform. Does this happen often?

1 Like

Do it. This has been done and made clear by freetrade.

Seems everyone who is affected by stock movements in and out of the indexes on rebalancing are emailed with details, so shouldn’t be totally unexpected?

No emails, no warnings

Plenty or emails plenty of warning

1 Like

Must have missed them. Relatively new to this. Cheers