Expanded free and Plus stock universe šŸ”„ 18 SEPTEMBER 2020

Isnā€™t the point that new investors arenā€™t equipped to make that assessment?

On the flipside though, it feels a bit dodgy that FT is monetising the access to riskier stocks, when most of their income comes from penny stocks it might create odd incentives for them. The optics could be a bit ā€˜Wolf of Wall Streetā€™ if FT is seen as making most of their money from novice investors buying penny stocks.

Also it feels weird that FT+ is worthwhile if you are interested in the <0.1% of the market that is small UK stocks but doesnā€™t do anything for the large fees for trading large US stocks (~60%) and rest of the world when they get there (~36%). It just seems an extremely niche offering that I canā€™t see appealing to enough people.

1 Like

I think itā€™s important to clarify something here.

We arenā€™t differentiating stocks in terms of their relative risk. Investing in any stock carries risk and it is up to everyone to determine exactly how those risks fit with their particular objectives and portfolio make up.

In deciding on an impartial method for distinguishing between stocks, we wanted to make the Free plan option attractive for anyone who is interested in a solid range of some of the most widely followed stocks in the world. Sort of like a starter pack that you can use commission free, forever.

In our vision, Plus is the default option for people who want to have unlimited access to markets, in terms of both the available universe (for which the vision is to give you every stock listed around the world) as well as an enhanced feature set (think limit orders, more insights, etc).

16 Likes

Hi Alex, the current differentiation has Baillie Gifford US Growth as a free stock and both Baillie Gifford European & China Growth as a paywalled stock. Itā€™s in incidences like this the differentiation becomes confusing.

US is in the FTSE 250
European is FTSE all-share

That is the reason, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a need to overthink it.

4 Likes

I think you should read this thread in detail then. A lot of people are explaining/justifying Freetradeā€™s position as offering relatively safer stocks for people to dip their toe in with.

For example:

Another example:

And another:

Yet another:

Your use of the phrase ā€˜starter packā€™ lends support to the opinions above and seems to imply that this is a safer starting ground for people to then expand on. There is nothing inherently safe in stocks within indexes. Yes these stocks are, on average, less volatile due to support from major investment houses but volatility is not risk. Surely then, the implication for any new investor reading this thread is that this is the reasoning behind the move.

By definition any method of selection is not impartial because in choosing that method you have shunned other methods. The method Freetrade has selected is partially automatic but it was a conscious decision and therefore not impartial?

The decision to add certain requested IPOs, SPACs and the like further invalidates your claim that the selection of stocks within the ā€˜Freeā€™ universe is impartial.

What most rankles me is that I seem to remember that @Duncan , though I am happy to be corrected on this with supporting evidence, stated during an AMA that no stocks which were available at the time would be moving into Plus behind the paywall.

I do not want to sound overly argumentative and critical but I have had 3 conversations in the last 2 days, with people I have recommended Freetrade to, asking about the risk of their portfolio following this announcement.

3 Likes

Quick general plus question. I canā€™t seem to do limit orders for US stocks. Is this just available for LSE orders?

It wasnā€™t in the original release but itā€™s been added to my account this week, so I think itā€™s in the rollout process.

2 Likes

Whilst Plus was being developed and the idea of certain stocks only being available on Plus came out several members of the community suggested it would be more simple to separate by indexes, rather than FT picking seemingly random individual stocks.

Theyā€™ve excluded the least owned and worst performing index from the free tier. If they were going to pick an index, this is probably the best one to pick (that they currently have access to at least). Perhaps less about what is considered safe or not.

Youā€™re not really addressing any of my points.

I understand how and why this decision was reached but it is not impartial as claimed.

Freetrade is also excluding other companies on the Main Market and not just AIM - 100 companies.

Which ones?

Impartiality is more about removing personal bias, prejudice etc, which splitting on indexes achieves this.

I didnā€™t expect SPACs ( Nikola went public because of a SPAC :scream: ) in the free universe but it makes sense as they would be requested to no end if they were left out. Freetrade is still being impartial in this case as itā€™s not a case of the Freetrade saying it will be a hot stock letā€™s paywall it, instead itā€™s the crowd collectively pushing for those IPOs and SPACs.

Anyway, it could be argued that stocks should be grandfathered but that can become problematic as well.

Except Freetrade are not splitting on indexes because extra shares are being added. The crowd does not have power and no defined criteria, number of votes for example, has been set out so again not impartial.

Why would a crowd have power over anything? Itā€™s not a cooperative.

In any case thereā€™s a clear definition of what is and isnā€™t in twist tier. And if you feel something should be free or under Plus you can post that idea with your data and evidence in #ideas

1 Like

Sort of. They have not publicly shared their exact meanings for ā€˜highly-requestedā€™, ā€˜large cap companiesā€™, and ā€˜micro-cap stocksā€™ but that doesnā€™t mean they have not defined it.

1 Like

Seems this is also a thing they may likely take feedback on with peopleā€™s requests in the forum if anything is to go by

You are right and I feel the same way - I recorded this commitment at the time below.

2 Likes

Freetrade is listeningā€¦

1 Like

Not to any of the points I have raised. I didnā€™t mention ETFs.

That volatility isnā€™t risk?