Expanded free and Plus stock universe šŸ”„ 18 SEPTEMBER 2020

Hi everyone

Weā€™re excited to share more information on the expanded stock universe today and are sharing the news here first.

Summary

We are planning for the free universe to include all stocks in the:

• FTSE 350
  • FTSE AIM 100
  • MSCI US Prime Market (the 750 largest companies listed on major US exchanges)
  • IPOs, SPACs, and other highly-requested large cap companies
  • iShares, Vanguard, and Invesco ETFs

The Plus universe will include all stocks in the free plan, plus all stocks from the:

• FTSE All-Share
  • FTSE AIM All-Share
  • S&P SmallCap 600
  • Plus any other highly requested small and micro-cap stocks not included in these indices
  • All other available ETFs

Weā€™re going to roll out these new stocks in batches over the coming weeks, so that by the time Plus is available to everyone, the list of stocks you get will be significantly larger than whatā€™s in free.

Weā€™ve thought carefully about how to divide up these stocks and a small number, specifically 84 London-listed and 52 New York-listed stocks, currently available to all Freetrade users will become part of the Plus universe.

And here are this weekā€™s 100 new additions, live now.

Stock Ticker Universe
AA plc AA. Plus
Alba Mineral Resources ALBA Plus
Allied Minds plc ALM Plus
Bidstack Group plc BIDS Plus
Deepmatter Group plc DMTR Plus
ECR Minerals plc ECR Plus
Foxtons Group plc FOXT Plus
JPMorgan Global Core JARA Plus
KEFI Gold and Copper plc KEFI Plus
Lindsell Train plc LTI Plus
Manchester & London plc MNL Plus
Novacyt SA NCYT Plus
Octopus Renewables plc ORIT Plus
Okyo Pharma Ltd OKYO Plus
Pacific Horizon PHI Plus
Synairgen plc SNG Plus
Stock Ticker Universe
Ally Financial Inc ALLY Free
ASE Industrial (ADR) ASX Free
Aspen Technology Inc AZPN Free
Avery Dennison Corporation AVY Free
AXA Equitable Holdings Inc EQH Free
Azul Linhas AĆ©reas Brasileiras SA AZUL Free
Banco Bradesco SA (ADR) BBDO Free
Banco Santander (Brasil) SA (ADR) BSBR Free
BeiGene Ltd (ADR) BGNE Free
Calisen plc CLSN Free
Central Puerto SA (ADR) CEPU Free
Charles River Laboratories International Inc CRL Free
China Unicom Ltd (ADR) CHU Free
CNA Financial Corporation CNA Free
CureVac AG CVAC Free
Daqo New Energy Corp (ADR) DQ Free
Dotdigital Group plc DOTD Free
Enersis Chile SA (ADR) ENIC Free
Entegris Inc ENTG Free
Equinor ASA (ADR) EQNR Free
Erie Indemnity Company ERIE Free
Globe Life Corp GL Free
HDFC Bank Ltd (ADR) HDB Free
ICON plc ICLR Free
ItaĆŗ CorpBanca SA (ADR) ITCB Free
Just Group plc JUST Free
Koninklijke Philips NV (ADR) PHG Free
Lennox International Inc LII Free
Liberty Media Formula One Series C FWONK Free
Liontrust Asset plc LIO Free
LKQ Corporation LKQ Free
Loma Negra Compania Industrial Argentina SA (ADR) LOMA Free
Medicinova Inc MNOV Free
Melco Crown Entertainment Limited (ADR) MLCO Free
Mizuho Financial (ADR) MFG Free
Mobile TeleSystems (ADR) MBT Free
Nano-X Imaging Ltd NNOX Free
Natura & Co Holding SA (ADR) NTCO Free
New Oriental Education & Tech Group Inc (ADR) EDU Free
NICE Systems Ltd (ADR) NICE Free
Nomura Holdings (ADR) NMR Free
Numis Corporation plc NUM Free
Oak Street Health Inc OSH Free
Petrobras A-Shares (ADR) PBR.A Free
POSCO Co Ltd (ADR) PKX Free
PPD Inc PPD Free
PT Telekomunikasi (ADR) TLK Free
Qiagen NV QGEN Free
RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd RNR Free
Renew Holdings plc RNWH Free
Restoration Hardware Holdings Inc RH Free
Royal Dutch Shell A RDSA Free
Sasol Ltd (ADR) SSL Free
Shinhan Financial (ADR) SHG Free
Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical Co Ltd (ADR) SHI Free
SK Telecom Co Ltd (ADR) SKM Free
Suzano Papel e Celulose SA (ADR) SUZ Free
TIM ParticipaƧƵes SA (ADR) TSU Free
Toro Co TTC Free
Turkcell Iletisim Hizmetleri AS (ADR) TKC Free
Ultrapar ParticipaƧƵes SA (ADR) UGP Free
UMC (ADR) UMC Free
Universal Health Services Inc UHS Free
Vail Resorts Inc MTN Free
Vedanta Ltd (ADR) VEDL Free
Virtu Financial VIRT Free
Vistra Energy Corp VST Free
Warehouse Reit plc WHR Free
Watsco Inc WSO Free
Westlake Chemical Corp WLK Free
Woori Bank Co Ltd (ADR) WF Free
Workspace Group plc WKP Free
ZTO Express (Cayman) Inc (ADR) ZTO Free
37 Likes

Itā€™s kind of a similar approach as HL in differentiating the tiers, with the obvious difference in how itā€™s being offered. It seems like a reasonable approach.

I take it stocks requiring nationality declaration are coming to both then? Could we expect this by general release of plus, Or are these still an ongoing development?

There was a brief mention about access to all companies globally, can we take they to mean access to other markets in the future? It would be great to hear more about this vision?

Plus and Freetrade is beginning to look more attractive to me for holding the vast majority of my holdings but if Iā€™m honest Iā€™m still a bit reserved about it at the moment. Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d take it up today or not (if I had access to plus to do so), but if these app improvements and product improvements keep happening itā€™s very likely going to be at the top of my radar soon.

Edit: interesting, plus isnā€™t listed to sign up but searching for a plus share does allow me to sign up.

Also RDSA isnā€™t listed

5 Likes

Nice and clear messaging and explanation.

Others may disagree with me but the ā€œPLUSā€ icon on the discover search looks a bit odd. Maybe itā€™s the font or the size of it thatā€™s messing with some of my ocd

Iā€™m quite pleased with this announcement and the way it seems the availability divide between Free and Plus is going. It seems to fit well with the Freetrade ethos of making it easier for new investors to fall into the pit of success, while also offering more advanced functionality and risk to those wanting it.

17 Likes

It doesnā€™t feel like it fits in with the UI and Freetrades theming to me. Not something Iā€™m to fussed over as there are more major UI issues to focus on :smile:

1 Like

This was free until today and is not new. What happens to people that hold it and dont have plus?

2 Likes

I tbink the gradient is making the right side look more squished when it isnā€™t. Maybe the monospace font (or at least similar sized letters) stand out too. I dunnlo doesnt look too bad, just stands out which is probablythe point. I dont mind the gradient as a differentiating factor for Plus, but the popularity of gradients comes and goes. I originally didnā€™t like it, but its growing on me.

Are there any that are currently available but will move to premium?

Yes, its mentioned in the linked post.

Weā€™ve thought carefully about how to divide up these stocks and a small number, specifically 84 London-listed and 52 New York-listed stocks, currently available to all Freetrade users will become part of the Plus universe.

1 Like

Hi Eden,

We plan to enable nationality declaration stocks for both indeed. There is engineering work that needs to be performed to enable them. We will keep you posted.

Best,
Alex

14 Likes

It wonā€™t affect me because I have free Plus for being a founding member. But I think it would be better if those 136 stocks stayed in the free version. Thereā€™s a few well known names in there so I bet a few people will be affected by this

8 Likes

Thatā€™s great to hear, Iā€™m looking forward to it itā€™s a big one for me.

You can keep them as is and sell them but canā€™t buy more.

1 Like

SPACs :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

As an investor, Iā€™m happy as you make money.

As a user, basic small micro-caps like $KEFI, $ALBA and $ECR being under a paywall is a cheap shot. I feel like in a EA game.

Btw, $ALBAā€™s ā€œPLUSā€ sign doesnā€™t cover the full price in the app.

4 Likes

@Freetrade_Team - not sure if Iā€™ve missed this, but will there be any ETFā€™s in the Plus account, or will all ETFā€™s be available to everyone?

Hi Jspen -

We plan to add a far more extensive selection of ETFs to Plus and weā€™re still discussing exactly how we want to divide these up.

When we have that detail weā€™ll be sure to share it.

Best,
Alex

5 Likes

Great news!

I believe I just managed to upgrade my account to Plus by clicking on the ā€˜Upgrade your accountā€™ hyperlink within a Plus stockā€™s screen. Is this expected?

Pretty slick process! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didnā€™t expect SPACs to make it in the free universe.

1 Like

Yeah, I think its a tough one. FT have a set of rough guidelines for what will go i to Free and what will go into Plus (see first post in this thread). It makes sense to go back and apply those rules to the existing universe. That will definitely bug some people. Some may leave, some may sign up to Plus, some may have already bought as much as they want and just hold.
Being a part of change like that is part of being an early adopter (Iā€™m sure you understand that as a founding member). The truth is, given the expected growth, there are millions of people who wonā€™t even know 136 stocks were ever in the Free universe. Theyā€™ll have a very different perspective and hopefully just see universes that line up with FTā€™s thoughts on investing.
But yeah, of course there will be some upset people now. I like that FT can look past them without being too dismissive.

5 Likes

Hey @zaccharles, the full outline of the free and Plus universe is in the original post above :+1:

1 Like