[Feature Request 🔧] Annual Tax Certificate 💰

Fine, then I will appeal to the top directly. @adam @Viktor Please can you prioritise this work.

1 Like

Then the least hey could do is tell customers that they’re dismissing the idea so we know to take our business elsewhere…

| bitflip Leader
17 August |

• | - |

It has. Freetrade developers and product managers frequent these pages. I am sure an impact/resource assessment has been made and squared with whatever the on-going priorities are.

1 Like

Nobody said it is dismissing the idea. Far from it.

This is how I generally look at things: it is a business and is juggling balls, in a difficult economic environment, it is going to make the decisions that it needs to for its survival. Lots of users: lots of requirements and contradictory needs. Limited resources. It has to make choices/decisions. Perhaps it makes some wrong choices/decisions. I don’t know. What I know, and have to focus on, is the right decisions for me. A different example from the tax topic here: If I want a stock that Broker X doesn’t have I am not going to let what Broker X has on the books limit my choice. That basic idea I extend to everything: I have to think about the whole package. If I need something sure I will ask for it but I won’t hang around if I really need it.

You don’t need a tax certificate for your ISA or a SIPP. Most people probably don’t need a cert for their GIA. But many do. Now you have to look at the situation, weigh up your needs and do what is right for you.

Rather than having you speculate on behalf of Freetrade, it would be a lot simpler if someone from freetrade would simply address whether this is something they are in the process of delivering or that they are not.

The frustration is caused by an absence of an official response more than anything.

Please don’t say false things. I have not speculated on behalf of Freetrade. In the post I have indicated how I look at things.

Freetrade has previously said that a tax certificate was being looked at.

1 Like

Please @Ken251 @Hugh @House

Venting your frustration at the lack of a feature at @bitflip - a volunteer - is not just poor form but unproductive. @bitflip has a wealth of experience building and shipping software in large and small business at a senior level, this insight is very useful.

The ship rate of new features has increased massively in recent months. As confirmed this is on an internal roadmap but there are no delivery times attached.

Let’s remember to keep replies friendly and helpful :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Not sure why I received this:

Obviously not true :confused:

8 Likes

I don’t read any of the posts above as being directed at @bitflip, mine was not meant like that. However I think there is an obvious interpretation from what was said was on behalf of FT.
Is this not the very issue? There is a problem, a community forum meant for ideas and problems, and yet it is left without comment, just for us to winge amongst ourselves?
Are we only allowed to cheerlead? I’m an investor, I also may have problems without this in the future.

4 Likes

This is a bit of a bug in the platform, whenever you merge two ideas it shows one as competed. It’s very annoying!

It’s a real shame this has not been prioritised as it’s limimiting higher net worth individuals having accounts at freetrade that would increase AUM.

13 Likes

Fully agree on this!

This does not seem to be a rocket science feature.

A comment from FT on this would be nice.

8 Likes

As a GIA is free and Freetrade is on the road to sustainability as a responsible business / brokerage I think a flat fee per Annual Tax Certificate would be reasonable. Say £5 or £10 or whatever Freetrade think the numbers stack up with. I know people don’t seem to want to pay anything but sustainability for Freetrade is everything in the end. Certificates could be Free for plus / ISA subscribers.
Whatever happens I hope this is in the pipeline.
Annual Tax Certificates are a must.

3 Likes

With respect, that is a crazy idea and would be the exact opposite of being a responsible business.

Try going down that path and don’t be surprised when HMG/HMRC introduce much more stringent regulations for brokers to follow.

Every other broker manages to provide a free annual tax certificate. All it needs to be is a downloadable PDF.

7 Likes

Just basic reporting info on SIPP would be great. Right now it’s very poor.

Just doing my tax return now and it is a NIGHTMARE with Freetrade, even with the data export you can request in the chat. This urgently needs fixing. Really putting me off using Freetrade - and i’m both an investor and paid user!!

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m James, VP of Product at Freetrade. Thanks for sharing your feedback on this thread and would reiterate the earlier points that the team definitely do read through these forum posts - hopefully you have noticed some increased traction on solving some of the most voted / longstanding requests recently and this is certainly something you should expect to continue!

Our reporting does need to improve and thought it was worth sharing some of the plans there.

We recently released the ability to filter the activity screen for specific activities or a date period

The next change we are going to release is the ability to download and extract of your activity list (plus all the information on associated contract notes) to CSV. This should enable people to conveniently calculate their gain/loss from trades and income from all sources. We are going to be sharing more detail on that this week including the proposed data format. While we expect there will be several different views we would be keen to get peoples feedback.

We are using this thread as the main discussion point for that:

While this will be a substantial step forward in being able to track your positions and gains at Freetrade we recognise that that will miss some elements (such as dividends held within accumulating ETFs) and so once the statements are complete and they will be looking into adding additional information for tax reporting as a further milestone.

12 Likes

Yes , would love to see this , special asking an account to calculate my small returns , was not worth besides expensive . So i hope something like eToro. Hope next crowdfunding money would be part to focus on this. :slight_smile:

PS - hopelly before next tax year

1 Like

Yes for SIPP it’s absolutely impossible to tell when the 20% relief has been implied for each transaction

There is a misunderstanding here of the pension tax relief. Nothing is applied to each purchase. HMRC gives Freetrade the 20% and is applied as a cash deposit to your account. You put in £80, a few weeks later you see an additional cash entry of £20. A Tax certificate plays no part in this - and in fact in U.K. all brokers that I am aware of don‘t provide SIPP or ISA accounts with one because there is no U.K. tax liability.

1 Like

When reporting my total pension on my tax return I need to see the contribution +20% in order to get my additional 20% tax relief. My other SIPP providers provide a very clear view of this but FT doesn’t. Essentially I want to be able to verify that the 20% has been applied.

1 Like