Freetrade Roadmap: Reloaded

What will the API allow us to do? Curious about this.

1 Like

We will not have literally every single stock traded in US stock exchanges for operational reasons, but we won’t be far.

10x US stocks mean up to 3,000 of them - and there are approximately 3,700 stocks according to the WSJ. You may have seen this comment from @Vlad as well.

6 Likes

Great. Many thanks.

This would be a strong milestone if indeed happens within “new few months”.

1 Like

They could choose to link with other fintechs such as Emma, nothing announced though. I’d guess it depends on demand from users and individual negotiations

Twitter

7 Likes

Just curious how fractionals are still 3-6 months away on the road map, when the investment platform is in testing?? This is undoubtedly the killer feature separating you from traditional brokers.

4 Likes

That’s a good reminder, thanks for this. We’re actively developing it, so we’ve moved it over to “Near term”. It’s imminent.

27 Likes

Great news thanks!!!

2 Likes

I would be very impressed if FT delivered in 2020, the 11 items currently in the 3-6 month bucket. I also look forward to “SIPP transfers” appearing on the roadmap.

2 Likes

Freetrade, need to push and execute their roadmap much quicker than they initially planned.

I just seen T212 new updates on iOS, Android to follow in weeks.
They have added

• Basic company details,
  • Detailed key ratio, like all of them
  • Detailed Financial summary (last 4yrs of Annual statements /last 4 Quarterly)
    *Balance Sheet again last 4yrs & last 4 quarters.
  • Cash flow (last 4 yrs)

They might monetize this in future, but as for now it’s all free and holds alot of details in depth saves alot of time analysis stock.

8 Likes

Stuff like this is available at other sources, i dont see this to be needed in the short term IMO. Other things are more important.

3 Likes
1 Like

The reality is a lot of new users will compare FT Vs 212 (and others) and will opt for an all in one app over having to use several sources.

IMO you need to balance the long term strategic plan with some short term improvements to keep existing users happy & remain competitive in a fast and growing industry to win new users.

4 Likes

Yeah I get that. It’s all new and shiny.

212 have been around a lot longer than FT. Therefore they already have their infrastructure and tech already in place. FT is still building out its backbone to what hopefully will become an amazing offering.

I feel people should find an app / broker they like and stick with it. I am sure we will get all the tools that other brokers have as the time goes on. I personally would rather a solid app / broker platform over FT rushing out features.

FT doesn’t need to Feature Creep. *

“Feature creep is the excessive ongoing expansion or addition of new features in a product”

I am still waiting for FT to add more FTSE 250 stocks, etc etc
just like investing people should be patient.

Sorry rant over.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree as the stock / fund information is a bit meagre at the moment in-app and I’d like to see more rather than having to revert to other apps all the time.

However, is it a killer feature like fractionals, a core foundational element like the in-house built platform, a hygiene factor like a much bigger stock universe, revenue generating like the Alpha account, or necessary for short-term survival like international expansion? No.

Given that they have limited resources, and given recent news reports that the strain is showing on many employees, I’d rather have them focus their limited firepower on aforementioned items.

Stock/fund info is mostly an exercise in gathering publicly available information and presenting it in a usable format. Rather than build it in-house, it’d make more sense to partner like someone with Simply WallStreet, Genuine Impact, Atom, or one of the others and suck their API in - if FreeTrade can spare a resource to do this.

9 Likes

oooooor
stockopedia :smiley: That would be the dream to have their stock ranking in FT

1 Like

Considering how much closer the basic SIPP functionality is getting on the roadmap, is not it about time to add a SIPP transfers item to the roadmap?

Also, I feel there is so little communication on the SIPP item delivery that it makes me feel like it will be delayed, a lot delayed. Indeed, the invest platform is grabbing all the attention at the moment but users and FT shareholders would be more interested in concrete impacts on specific delivery timeline improvements (improved go-live ETAs) than what are usually behind-the-scene “under the hood” topics that should create buzz only for technologists. To summarise, tech achievements are worth no more than the features they deliver and I am quite unimpressed by the pace of the latter at the moment or at least the breadth and depth of communication about them. The slow pace of major feature items deliveries negatively impacts user and assets growth.

Any news/updates about limit orders, stop loss orders, SIPPs, etc.? It’s about time we remembered that FT is first and foremost an online broker, not just a “WeWork-style” Tech startup whose tech is just an enabler; not an end in itself.

This applies to all online brokers disruptors and FinTech in general, clearly not just an FT-specific matter, there is nothing to crow about access to thousands of US stocks as this comes as a basic feature of all incumbents’ services. Why rejoice so much in new tech only playing catch up with incumbents’ old basic functionalities that are at least 20-year old features?

The jist of my above rambling is that his roadmap thread should be busy with items delivery ETA updates and one of the most heavily used communications tools for FT. Instead, it’s dead quiet and underused with other threads mainly used as geeky celebration eco-chambers which is quite unimpressive and scary from an FT investor point of view.

1 Like

Or even just deep-link to the appropriate place in the Apple Stocks app, Yahoo! Finance or similar. The pain is having to search yourself and make sure you’re looking at exactly the same security.

2 Likes

Viktor and Adam, no pressure on the 3-6 month bucket:

• :pizza: Fractional shares & ETFs - UK => moved to 3-6 month 8th Aug so ETA => 8th Feb :frowning_face: Update?
  • :nerd_face: API => moved to 3-6 month 8th Aug so ETA => 8th Feb :frowning_face: Update?
  • :tickets: Free Share referrals 2.0 => moved to 3-6 month 10th Oct so ETA => 10th May
  • :mushroom: European stocks => moved to 6-12-month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Aug
  • :pizza: Fractional shares and ETFs - EU => moved to 6-12-month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Aug
  • :nerd_face: Limit orders => moved to 6-12-month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Aug
  • :nerd_face: SIPPs => moved to 6-12-month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Aug
  • :ship: International launch: France => moved to 6-12-month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Aug
  • :ship: International launch: Germany => moved to 6-12-month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Aug

Also, in addition to the above 2 missed ETA, should not this be live by now?

• :100: Stock insights => moved to 3-6 month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Feb :frowning_face: Update?
  • :100: Benchmark => moved to 3-6 month 6th Aug so ETA => 6th Feb :frowning_face: Update?
  • :nerd_face: Alpha account => moved to active dev/testing 23rd Dec => still missing free ISA :frowning_face:

Very busy until summer or lots more egg on your face end of Aug with already the above 4.5 missed deliveries :frowning_face:

4 Likes

These are Freetrade’s targets. Ambitious and possibly deliverable. They aren’t contracts or certainties. Best to get it right and later than your originally hoped than wrong and on time. They are working on these and give or take a month or two have been pretty close to most of their very ambitious aims.

1 month out or 23 working days. It’s quite minimal in a highly sophisticated and very regulated industry. I expect the aim is to deliver a lot of these in one go. So for example perhaps the Alpha account will have the stock insights and benchmark wrapped up inside it.

8 Likes