Freetraders’ most popular buys this week 🗓

It’s a bit of a weird one but twitter’s ‘cashtags’ for stocks all use dollar signs. I guess that’s just because Twitter’s a US company :us:

stocktwits comes to mind

2 Likes

Oh fair enough, I didn’t realise there was twitter integration. $ away! :innocent:

2 Likes

How are you judging the risk, without knowing the makeup of those investor’s portfolios & how well diversified they are?

3 Likes

We don’t know the makeup of individual user’s profiles, but this list does give us an insight into the average user. We can infer that the top 10 stocks give a good indication of people’s overall tolerance to risk in their portfolios.

1 Like

If the list was based on the value of buys then perhaps (there would still be some big caveats there). But if 10 people invest their change in Lloyd’s each week & had bought Vanguard’s S&P tracker at the start of the month, their portfolio would be a lot more balanced than these lists suggest.

Your conclusion could be correct too of course. I’m just pointing out that this is a pretty isolated data point & I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from it :wink:

I’m sure we’ll share some more insights on this at some point. For now, we’re just sharing this list for fun.

3 Likes

I wonder if there is any correlation between these and the community discussion

2 Likes

I think so.
there’s been a lot of discussion about SXX and TSLA
there are also quite a few ethical investors here who seem to be investing in TRIG regularly
generally those stocks have been discussed but a few are general market movers anyway.

Agreed, but SXX has been buzzing for a while across the investment community. I think it is widely seen as one of the biggest gambles currently (penny stock wise). People will live and learn, but the discussion here is very insightful for the most part.

I am not surprised to see MTRO listed. A lot of discussion on here re this stock and I am sure a few peeps have made a quick but if cash in the past few days! :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Would be interesting to see an index of freetrade investors and see if we beat the market. Probably not, especially due to taxes and fees.

5 Likes

i would actually love to see that at year end
as part of a wider automatic analysis of your portfolio

Then we see that freetraders can’t beat the market and everyone quits picking stocks that day

3 Likes

you never know
but interest is money either way

Lloyds always seem to be at the top of the ‘most popular’ lists for my established brokers ( Halifax / HL ). I’m surprised it’s so popular on FT - I would term it a ‘boring’ share ( in the nicest possible sense )

1 Like

I invested in BT, Lloyds and Sirius this week.

that’s an interesting take as well. I agree no one really trades in and out of their S&P/FTSE trackers but they would buy/sell single stocks more frequently (not that it is advisable but at least on average this is probably the case).

Also this is just my theory but looking at the stocks that get a lot of votes/mentions, they tend to be growth stocks (like tech names etc). There are a number of ‘boring’ household names but they don’t generate as much excitement. This does indicate that people invest. Although maybe it is my own confirmation bias while i was going through the list. Who knows!

1 Like

I’ve bought a few risky SSX shares this month, however the majority of my portfolio on Freetrade is in cheap, long term, diverse, ETF’s
My personal thinking is I’d rather gamble a bit on an equity than a horse :slight_smile:

It’s that time of the week again, coinciding with the end of the month take :spiral_calendar::
https://twitter.com/freetrade/status/1134495172132311045?s=21

8 Likes

Please share top sales too!

3 Likes

Top holdings (which I guess is buys net of sales and over time) would be really interesting.

1 Like