GlaxoSmithKline 💊 💉- GSK

" a huge dividend cut that will divert billions of pounds into a war chest for growth."

seems a bit disingenuous when her plan is to break up the company into 2 parts anyway.

Is there any info on how that will affect share holders? Will we just get shares on both?

I don’t think anything has been announced yet, other than the long term goal to spin off some of the company so it can be sold to Pfizer.

My guess is they will create a company that’s jointly owned by both and then one company will sell off shares to the other or on the market, but they could just issue some of the shares in the new company as dividends to existing share holders too, but obviously that would affect the price of the original company a lot more.

I’m not sure if Freetrade is set up to handle shares as dividends, I seem to remember reading a while ago that it wasn’t.

1 Like

Cool, I couldn’t find anything so wondered if I missed it. :joy: and I bloody hope FT can give us any shares due as if not that would be 2 out of 2 so far for me that failed with PSTH :man_facepalming:

GSK is providing an investor update for shareholders on Wednesday 23rd June. This is to outline strategy, growth outlooks (2022-2031), capital allocation priorities and timing and approach to separation.”

1 Like

Presumably that means Freetrade get to keep our shares then, as they would still be issued them. If that happens, I think there’d be a case for either them processing it manually as a one off, or I’d expect they might well end up being sued, as GSK is likely to be quite a popular share for UK traders and so people could potentially lose a lot of money in this situation.

1 Like

Well it is only speculation at the moment so hopefully after the 23rd we know more having read the above from @PeteL :+1:

1 Like

You can register for the event here Investors | GSK

1 Like

Freetrade have done de mergers before, Pfizer split off a new company called Viatris a while back and I ended up with shares in both.

5 Likes

I have high hopes for the presentation this Wednesday and so I have added to my position. Not financial advice.

1 Like

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-d-buy-gsk-shares-063431699.html

2 Likes

Shares up 3% since the shareholder meeting. Wish I’d bought up even more yesterday now!

2 Likes

I’m about to join the Investor Update webcast

3 Likes

Please do give us an update of how this went! Thanks

3 Likes

I think they will release the recording and slides to the public so will grab them and post them up.

They have big plans on revenue growth as link shared by @ralf

So far presentation is all about some restructuring of commercial team and then all medical folk sharing the news on their new meds and vaccines in the pipeline…

3 Likes

Can I check my understanding following today’s announcement - GSK has said it will demerge 80% of its majority stake in the Sensodyne and Panadol consumer joint venture to Glaxo shareholders, with the new shares set for a premium listing in London.

Once the company spilts, will existing shareholders get shares in the new company in a similar way they did when Pfizer spilt?

1 Like

GSK will have a majority controlling equity interest of 68% and Pfizer will have an equity interest of 32% in the Joint Venture.

The proposed all-equity transaction

So, it seems like the new company will start off being wholy owned by the two companies, so it shouldn’t trigger a share-as-dividend, as we will effectively already own 68% percent of it.

Within 3 years of the closing of the transaction, GSK intends to separate the Joint Venture via a demerger of its equity interest and a listing of GSK Consumer Healthcare on the UK equity market.

So, at that point, everyone will be able to buy shares at the IPO, and equity will be returned to GSK, maybe that will give a better than expected dividend, maybe it will just raise the share price. Possibly, we might get preferential purchase rights to the IPO shares, but that’s not mentioned and probably won’t be decided until nearer the time.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is useful - a little disappointed we won’t get the additional shares to start with.

So it looks like there will be a 31% cut to the dividend and a focus on growth to boost the overall share price.

2 Likes

Highlights from yesterdays GSK briefing

5 Likes