Google Finance Down?

Morning all,

Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing issues with google finance in google sheets?

This morning my spreadsheet is a sea of “#N/A” errors.

Cheers

Same for me. I’ve been surprised at how wobbly the Googlefinance functions are, actually, I expected that they’d ‘just work’ all the time, but I quite often get data fails on some items. But yeah, this morning there’s no data at all.

1 Like

Glad to know I’m not the only one. I do hope it’s fixed soon though.

I think given the size of google, there is a lot to be improved on the google Finance front. Most there attributes don’t even work i.e PE ratio, 7 days return etc

Always worth having an alternative call that scrapes a website to replace the dreaded #N/A.

Lesson learnt! Who’s best to scrape? I’m thinking an importxml on HL or yahoo?

1 Like

IMPORTHTML on morningstar for me, but the alternatives are endless.

1 Like

Back to Google’s API, someone has logged the issue here. I’ll try to keep people posted on any updates on this thread too

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/182524129

I do use importxml() on Morningstar to grab some data, but googlefinance() is so much simpler…

For price, I do the following. ‘B37’ is a reference to a cell where I have Morningstar’s ID code for the particular security (which looks something like ‘0P00018NKW’):

IMPORTXML(concat("https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=",B37), "//*[(@id = "overviewQuickstatsDiv")]//tr[(((count(preceding-sibling::*) + 1) = 2) and parent::*)]//*[contains(concat( " ", @class, " " ), concat( " ", "text", " " ))]")

(I didn’t create that magic incantation for extracting the data from the page. I found it on the excellent Simple Living in Somerset blog at a walk on the wild side – Simple Living In Somerset, and he got it from a post on Lemon Fool at Unit trust and OEIC prices in Google Sheets - The Lemon Fool)

3 Likes

Comment from google regarding the outage:

Hello everyone!
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we are aware of this behavior and this was forwarded internally to our Product Engineering team.

Any updates will be provided here, thank you for your collaboration and your understanding.

Kind regards.

1 Like

It looks like it’s back up!