Google Finance portfolio tracking

Has anybody got any ideas why UKDV is displaying as 10.2? Shouldnā€™t it be 100.2?

Edit: Iā€™ve just changed to ā€œLON:UKDVā€ but this still hasnā€™t changed it?

Iā€™ve just realised Iā€™m not sure this is where the problem is: I have a column which indicates the current value

Itā€™s saying the current value of UKDV is Ā£0.10 :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

Any help much appreciated , tearing my hair out

This is fantastic and I may of pinched all your formulas :eyes: thanks

Check the ā€œcurrencyā€ attribute - GBX shows as pence / GBP pounds.

Think it is? Hereā€™s the formula , shamelessly stolen from @simram

Edit: are you saying this should be GBX?

Sorry to mither, complete n00b

Is it possible to insert a graph into google sheets which tracks portofilio value?

Iā€™m happy to share mine if you like?

All youā€™d need to do is change the ticker and no of shares ?

Iā€™m a bit of n00b but have managed it , Iā€™m sure you can too

1 Like

Iā€™ll add some improvements into the Portfolio Management when I can, and re-share.

Some thoughts:

• If youā€™d like to make a personal copy of the Google Sheet to enter your own portfolio - just go File > Make a Copy. I encourage you to copy it and improve!
  • Google say that the currency of UK stocks are GBP, but then return it in pence, hence my formula hack to bring in line. I havenā€™t added in any FX considerations for other currencies, so we should add all to the static data pages.
  • Tracking portfolio value over time is a bit of a pain, because you need to factor in when stocks were bought and sold, which is a bit harder in Google Sheets. Once done we can start looking at more interesting risk and performance metrics.
  • The Google Finance API doesnā€™t support dividends and related data any more (as far as I know). They are available from Yahoo, but itā€™s a much more clunky to fetch them, e.g. something like this should work for the dividend yield:

=INDEX(SPLIT(IMPORTXML(CONCATENATE(ā€œhttps://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ā€œ,ā€œVOD.Lā€),ā€//*[@id=ā€˜quote-summaryā€™]/div[2]/table/tbody/tr[6]/td[2]ā€œ),ā€()ā€),1,2)

Obviously, something like this would be fab in Freetrade (depending on scope / priority) or to have portfolio data accessible via a Freetrade API, so we can build a proper web app.

7 Likes

This looks really useful. Going to try and do something via Excel.

Hereā€™s mine, basically taken from sim

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rOFbKFU6TpJUBKtjTakbXlxaJZhhjUQE5fgiDbH8ylQ/edit?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Thanks for this :+1: insightful

Do you know if itā€™s possible to change how often prices change in google sheets?

Sorry to bombard this thread but everybody super helpful

Any ideas what could be going on here? Itā€™s worked fine all week, opened this morning and itā€™s displaying this. All the other stocks/ tickers working with that same formulaā€¦

Might just be an issue that itā€™s not returning data today, see it happening occasionally with stocks on the Apple app. See if it starts working later

1 Like

Ah ok fair enough

Will check back later :nerd_face:thanks!

1 Like

Sadly Google Finance has had intermittent trouble getting prices for UK-listed things since March 2018, when Google did a big update. And for UK listed mutual funds, not at all since then in my experience. :frowning:

[Update: see Google Finance portfolio tracking - #67 by rod for UK mutual fund prices in Goog Sheets]

1 Like

Thatā€™s annoying, still hadnā€™t been corrected :unamused:

May be best to return the value in a hidden cell somewhere and then divide the value by 100?

3 Likes

The issue I had the other day was not putting ā€˜LON:ā€™ in front of the ticker, have you done this?

Put the ā€œcurrencyā€ attribute into a hidden column - if GBX divide by 100.

What is it you want to do with dividends / yields? One of the Import functions might work for you.

1 Like