Google Finance portfolio tracking

Hi neovo.
If I get chance later tonight Iā€™ll try and share a pic of mine with the calcs showing

Great stuff, thanks

I just want a chart similar to the one in the FT app

I guess I could manually input at the end of each week but this will get quite annoying but thats only my limited knowledge, this is all Iā€™ve come up with :tired_face:

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I still havenā€™t had chance to sort this out. I did have problems getting the functions to work but there were web pages that gave you examples on how to set up functions that can auto update a cell when offline. As I havenā€™t made any transactions lately mine is still in a dormant state but Iā€™m sorry I havenā€™t been able to explain it on the sheets yet.

1 Like

Are you trying to show the total value for your portfolio on a weekly basis? Or the value for a specific share on a weekly basis?

Yes total portofilio value over a weekly basis

Thanks for this will give it a go

As far as I can tell youā€™ll need a script with a ā€˜Time-drivenā€™ trigger to store the value every week to sheet, and then use those values to chart it.

Hmm ok will have a gander

Thanks for your time

Has anyone worked out the formula for retrieving market capā€™s from Google Finance?

=googlefinance(symbol, "marketcap", date(2019, 1, 2))

isnā€™t working :grimacing:

Without tinkering, not sure if historic market caps work. Try without the date?

2 Likes

That worked, thanks!

1 Like

In light of Freetrades addition of US stocks, my Google sheet requires some tinkering

How do you display the current value column as US dollars instead of sterling

Iā€™ve been using @simran 's template

Iā€™ve tried simply changing GBP to USD but this has no effect :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I tweaked mine my just multiplying the dollar amount returned by the current exchange rate:

=googlefinance(ā€œCURRENCY:USDGBPā€)

2 Likes

Donā€™t think I follow :flushed:

Iā€™ve tried adding ā€œCURRENCY:USDGBPā€ but no luck?

Without fully seeing the formulas you are putting together itā€™ll be hard to diagnose the problem. But Iā€™ll assume you have returned a dollar value in cell A1, to convert that value to GBP use:

=A1*googlefinance(ā€œCURRENCY:USDGBPā€)

Apolgies, that would help

So Iā€™ve probably wrongly inserted the price paid price as they amount I paid in Freetrade, which is sterling?

Which formulas would you need to see?

The price paid is simply the value
Current value is the formula I posted above ^

1 Like

Does this help at all?

=googlefinance(B3)

Above will give you the current price for Cisco in USD

=googlefinance(B3)*googlefinance(ā€œCURRENCY:USDGBPā€)

Will give you the price in GBP pence

=if(L3=ā€œGBPā€,(googlefinance(B3)*googlefinance(ā€œCURRENCY:USDGBPā€))/100,googlefinance(B3))

Will give you the price of a GBP share (as determined by column L) in pounds, else USD.

I think.

In fact, I donā€™t think you should be displaying the current price in either USD or GBP, choose a currency (most likely GBP) and display all in that.

Youā€™ll find it difficult to display the correct symbol (i.e. $ or Ā£) when using these formulas.

Also, you may want to sum all your current price values, and with difference currencies thatā€™ll be interesting.

I think I follow!

The current value is now displaying Ā£0.35 instead of Ā£35

Thanks for you help, much appreciated!

Iā€™ve cracked it! Thanks a lot!!

1 Like