How do you track your stocks and shares?

I used an XML code that pulls it from Yahoo Finance, do you fancy using that?

@investgreg Is this something you are able to share?

2 Likes

I tried to have a go but it’s a lot of work to remove all the personal detail for the other people, time I don’t have right now I’m afraid.

I’m more than happy to share my info (as you can see above) but don’t have their permission to share and it’s so interlinked that I can’t just do a simple delete on a few parts.

If there are any particular formulas or ideas you’d like more information on I’d be happy to help as much as possible.

Would you be willing to share a template of that spreadsheet? Looks great :+1:

Sure. One of the most popular functions on the finkiAPI is “ukDividendYield”. It does what it says on the tin. A T212 user made a video and included it

4 Likes

Should update that … no need to prefix a lot of the function calls with “uk” or “us” now.

So, in the example above, just call “dividendYield” instead. It’s clever enough to work out where your stock is traded. Can be a little slower, but is more accurate as the data source is now proprietary and updates “usually” the day after a dividend announcement.

Sharepad is the best in the UK.
It provides an incredibly powerful stock screener and covers US, UK and european markets.
You can track as many portfolios as you want.

I have around 30 portfolios in the system. Some accounts I have long since closed but I can track my complete history over all accounts showing how my portfolio has grown over time and benchmark it against any other index or fund I like.
Additionally every purchase and sale is marked on the charts and it automatically calculates your tax returns (If you hold stocks outside a SIPP and ISA)

They also let you trial it for 30 days and if you don’t find it useful you can cancel and get a refund.

So far more than just a portfolio management tool. The other features are really what you are paying for and the portfolio management part is just a bonus to have.

1 Like

I had been enjoying Yahoo finance app for a long time, which I would recommend as a starter. Just switched to ADVFN for the following improvements over Yahoo:
-better transaction recording (shares and cash)
-live prices (lse markets)
-better profit/loss statistics
-easier to keep US and UK shares in same portfolio (option to add price, fees and FX rate separately)

downsides to ADVFN are:
-no mutual fund tracking
-looks oldschool (subjective)
-unable to set a pin to open app

both are free and give lots of information.

I use Microsoft excel because nearly all brokers won’t allow you enter your own personalised book cost. For example, it you trade a stock or different stock many times, you wanna alter the book cost of a stock to reflect its true value which you believe it should be. I treat it like a game to trade frequently to lower the buy in price of a stock or increase the volume of stocks held in a company.

1 Like

Hi, this looks like a wicked little tracker, would you be kind enough to share it, many thanks.

Does anyone know why the Excell 365 data for market brings the prices across in pennies that convert into 10x the pounds? for example

PINEAPPLE POWER CORPORATION PLC (XLON:PNPL) International Stocks 295 £7.25 £0.76 11.64% £2,138.75

I’ve built what I think is a good sheet but this just buggers up the live function :joy: I know it must be something simple I am missing but can’t see it.

I created my own excel sheet that I update monthly, the main thing I like about mine is that I have incorporated a way to observe the breakdown of my sectors while accounting for the sector distributions within my ETF’s and Trusts as well as my stocks. As on FT it just says “ETF’s,Trusts and cash”. Also have various other charts in the spreadsheet that I find useful.

1 Like

Yeah I have a massively over complicated sheet as I like to know every possible breakdown :joy: I’ve now got the hang of the Excel 365 tool and it is pretty darn good to be honest updating the live pricing that then filter to my various tabs.

1 Like

Haven’t really looked into the live pricing tool, might give it a try at some point.

1 Like

It’s really simple highlight the stock name then click tool, stocks and it gives proper name and then extend to add many data columns :+1:

1 Like

I’ve just started using the open source Portfolio Performance.

It’s free and hopefully I’ll be able to track the multiple porfolios I’ll be building over the coming months as I track and evidence the performance of some low maintenance factor based porfolios.

This tutorial was useful but just remember when you add UK securities that draw live prices from Yahoo Finance that you need to set the security to use GBX (pence) rather than GBP (Pound)

Hope that help
Phil

2 Likes

Does anyone use the investing.com app /website to track their portfolio? If so what are your views experiences?

I’ve noticed it to not have all the tickers and there are too many bugs for it to be any reliable.

1 Like

This looks like a great tool, but I’m stumbling a little with it. Most of the ETFs and shares I have come up fine in the GBX version (just takes my head a second or 2 to think in pence rather than pounds) But some don’t seem to come through correctly.
Example: IUKD shows as 720.00 about right in pence. But VUKE shows up as 32.00 - a couple of decimal places out if it’s meant to be in pence (GBX)
I looked to see if I’d picked the wrong code or something, and checked that I’m picking GBX when adding it to the list, but everything else looks ok. I’ve tried to show it on the snip below. Anyone got any idea how to make that show the same as the others?

1 Like

I sorted it… Most use GBX, but a few come up as GBP. If you adjust those few to be recorded as GBP, the app converts it for you.

1 Like