How I'm planning to track my dividends

I created a google spreadsheet template for tracking dividend income. Thought Iā€™d share it here. This is identical to dividend diplomatā€™s spreadsheet. Been a big fan of their dividend income journey. My goal is to do the same - grow my dividends with sound /dividend champ companies year-on-year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JSMp6gfLuBEOu7Wh9eWX8O0QYuOj9MkIAs9NIfUPbQ8/edit?usp=sharing

Disclaimer: These arenā€™t my actual holdings. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

One adjustment Iā€™d probably recommend is aligning the dates to the tax year to help with the tax return (assuming itā€™s a general account, not an ISA).

2 Likes

Surprising that the dividend yield isnā€™t on there. Is their strategy to never sell, even when a yield becomes really poor?

Does it include non-US stocks, etfs and funds? Google Docs hasnā€™t seemed to be able to get the prices for UK-domiciled mutual funds in the last yearā€¦

Google took out UK mutual funds.It used to be MUTF_GBP:name_of_the_mutual_fund

1 Like

@adavid Yep, my spreadsheets have been sad since March 2018.

@ytsruh would your thing get price for eg a Vang lifestrategy mutual fund, (say ACDT / B4PQW15 / GB00B4PQW151 )? Itā€™s been a long time since I used Excel but would give it a try. (Iā€™m asking you because I donā€™t see a way to get the Stock ā€œbitā€ in the Data menu when Iā€™m using O365.)

Just a random one your vanguard price seems a little out:p donā€™t you mean Ā£43 instead of Ā£0.43

I tried to add Aviva but didnt seem to find it?

Yes, you are correct. This is a template. You can replicate it if you want and edit it to fit your requirement. These arenā€™t my real holdings : - )

I can see youā€™ve manually input the dividend return for Feb and May in CTY.

Is there a technical solution for calculating this return in Google Docs ( i.e. to input the dividend return in the correct column based on the pay date and your holdings)? Or are you doing this manually from company listings / Google / LSE etc.?

Unfortunately, I donā€™t know how to this programmatically. When I receive my dividends i just input the amount manually.

I would then summarise all of it in another sheet that looks like below. This me allows to compare year on year growth in my dividend income. Iā€™d love to get to a point where my dividend income can sustain my lifestyle one day. In the meantime, re-invest everything back.

1 Like

With regards to re-investing dividends back. Some brokers allow DRIP but others do not and it can get really expensive. I usually wait until dividends accumulate to say 1K before re-investing back just to make it worthwile with 9 quid commission.Fortunately with FreeTrade, I donā€™t need to wait for my dividends to accumulate as I can re-invest it with zero to minimal commission.

You could use something like this, which pulls in the price of Vanguardā€™s Ftse global all-cap fund:

=value(SUBSTITUTE(query(IMPORTXML("https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-ftse-global-all-cap-index-accumulation","//span[@class='bid price-divide']"),"select* limit 1",0),"p","",1))

Just change the link to whichever fund youā€™re after.

4 Likes

Example for Lifestrategy 100% in pounds:

=value(SUBSTITUTE(query(IMPORTXML("https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-lifestrategy-100-equity-accumulation","//span[@class='bid price-divide']"),"select* limit 1",0),"p","",1))/100
3 Likes

Oh wow, that works! That is clever and thank you very much.

1 Like

No worries.

When I get around to it: Iā€™ll work out a way of grabbing yield and/or dividend per share from somewhere, so it requires as little manual entry as possible.

You could probably pull in ex-dividend dates, payment dates and so on too.

Iā€™m all ears, if anyone in the hive mindā€™s got any ideas!

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Finki

Hey guys (first post!)

Does anyone have a solution to pull the dividends progamatically? Maybe ycharts (but its expensive)?

The super simple Finki API

sorry, I had to

#selfpromotion

1 Like

There are a few dividend tracker apps out there, does anyone have any recommendations?