ISA limit

I’ve just tried top up my ISA and exceeded the annual limit. All the money has moved to my GIA, why not just move the excess as now I’ve had to request a movement of the amount to fill my ISA wasting my time and yours. Also it will take a while to happen so the money is essentially unavailable for me to trade with.

Seems reasonable that the whole payment gets rejected if it causes the ISA limit to be breached. It states within the ISA account how much allowance is remaining, so it’s not rocket science to just transfer that amount into the ISA and the rest elsewhere.

6 Likes

I guess. Probably never affect me again :grinning:

You are responsible for ensuring that you stay within the limits of your own ISA. The error is on your part so you can’t expect Freetrade to sort this and split your payment.

2 Likes

TBF, I agree this is a stupid thing to happen. I introduced some-one and they joined with the minimum amount to get going. We then added ÂŁ20k and it auto moved to GIA without saying. This ruined our day and took ages to get moved back etc.
If it can’t go to the ISA it should simply be rejected and not sent to a place that was NEVER asked for. If it was instant withdrawal it would be fine but it takes days.
I raised a thread on this a couple years ago and it still happens. Honestly, I know it is your responsibility but it is not FT’s right to decide it can’t go to one place so they will just send to a different place.
If the ISA can’t accept an amount it should simply be rejected, simples!

2 Likes

Its your responsibility not Freetrades to reject it, be thankful your friend wont get a letter from HMRC.

Take some ownership rather than blaming everyone else.

2 Likes

Totally disagree, Why did they not put in SIPP then? Simple, we never asked it to go there. No company should send something somewhere if not agreed in the first place and especially for ÂŁ20k.

It is a 1st world problem etc but it would not happen with a bank so why here? A half decent system would simply say “you have reached your limit” or something.

Honestly, it is the only company/service I ever heard of who decide to send your money somewhere without your agreement beforehand. More importantly, if it upset even a few customers then safeguards should be put in place.

2 Likes

Of course they are going to put it into your GIA as it has no tax implications and can easily be withdrawn or the correct amount transferred to the ISA. It took 3 hours for support to move my money from GIA to ISA, not going to ruin my day.

Well it didn’t take us 3 hours and didn’t get done that day even so not as simple. The lady I was with it happened to was shocked it took so long for something she never agreed to happen. She had set aside a time period to sort out what to buy etc and then couldn’t do it.

Quite why you think this is a good customer experience is beyond me. Most business would have a simple “sorry you cant do that” type message and then the correct amount could be sent. That is a good customer experience.

Even having to wait 3 hours for something you never agreed to is pretty poor experience for an app that is all about simplicity.

And to say “of course they will put in your GIA” why? What other business makes a decision like this without your permission?

1 Like

Well would you rather it went back to your bank and your friend have that horrible moment where it’s not showing in the bank or in her Freetrade account?

It literally says how much of your allowance you have left on the deposit screen, Freetrade are an investment platform not your financial advisor take some ownership.

2 Likes

Ok, whatever, you obviously will defend FT at any cost on this subject.

My point is a new lady customer joined and had an issue where she couldn’t do transactions she wanted as FT decided to send money to a place she never agreed to and it was not sorted in a few hours at all.

As for your horrible moment comment, that silly. If, like most companies, it simply said you could not send the money then no issue in any way, shape or form would of happened. That would of been a good experience for a customer.

FT app is brilliant but does have little issues like this that then cause people to complain to others about it. For example, this experience I know has been mentioned to at least a dozen people I know of but probably a lot more at her work place etc.

A company should always aim to improve a user experience and there is not a single GOOD thing about FT deciding to send your money to an account you never asked it to. Give you the option, great, but not send without your permission.

Really surprised anyone would try and defend this at all to be honest! :rofl:

Have a good day.

4 Likes

Fair enough I messed up. Hold my hands up. A rejection would have made sense but fair play to FT the money was moved within an hour which was brilliant. I never even thought about the isa limit. But will be aware in future

1 Like

Hey mistakes happen and I think you’re right it shouldn’t have allowed you to do that before it took payment.

ISA allowance is ÂŁ20k max per tax year
this can be in the form of a cash ISA or Stock & shares ISA or
the 20K allowance split between cash ISA and Stocks & Shares ISA.

However, there will be some changes in April by the HRMC making it more flexible.

Glad to hear it only took an hour!