Limit orders cancelled

I had two $GME limit orders set up and confirmed set on Monday, at $600 and $800 per share for approx $25k per order. I received two push notifications today approximately 30mins before NYSE open telling me they’d been cancelled, with no explanation as to why, and they’ve disappeared and I’ve a couple of entries in my activity feed telling me they’ve been rejected.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why? My two triggered sells are still showing as active.

Did you ever get an answer to this? I woke up this morning to find two of my recently placed limit orders (Mastercard and Marvell) cancelled for no apparent reason.

No, not a peep. Unfortunately pretty standard for Freetrade CS these days.

I find that if I raise a ticket they respond. The forum less so as I guess it’s difficult to manage.

Will keep an eye on this happening.

:+1:Yeah I have found they reply very quickly on the app but funnily enough an open public forum isn’t the best way to get hold of them :joy:

Would be good to know the answer to this though.

1 Like

Well it’s interesting, the same two orders have been cancelled again so I will raise a ticket. At least the app tells me this has happened and it’s not failing silently.

1 Like

As a subscriber of Plus, I’d be interested to see what CS say about this.

However, it’s worth noting that the limit orders can be cancelled by the exchanges themselves, so it might not be Freetrade doing it, although it is reasonable to assume that Freetrade also have checks in place to ensure that limit orders aren’t being placed incorrectly.

There’s nothing useful on Freetrades help sections which explains this and AFAICT the exchanges themselves also don’t detail the criteria that will trigger the automatic cancellation of a limit order, but New Zealand’s Hatch have some information around it here.

That being said, in the event that a limit order is cancelled, the app really should indicate why…

2 Likes

I had a quick response from support. (Unlike my slow response here!).

They advised that, “It doesn’t look like those were able to be placed due to a connection issue”. They asked me to place the orders again and they have stuck fine. It’s worth noting this happened while the market was closed, so I didn’t miss any opportunity.

1 Like

It’s happened a couple of times before, but I found overnight two of my US limit sells for the same stock which were set up in the last couple of days were cancelled, for no obvious reason.

I thought it might be because it’s no longer within a certain percentage of the price, as the price of the stock (TSMC) has gone the other way and dropped, but the price is still within 5% of my highest limit sell. But as I have other stocks where the limit sells are still in place, in one case it’s now nearly 20% above the current price, it seems to be some other reason.

Is there any update on why this is happening?

Actually, this might be the reason… Looks like yesterday was an ex dividend date for TSM.

It would be nice to be told why this is happening though.

1 Like

I had a limit order expire this morning. It had been placed on 18 Mar, so I wonder if orders get automatically cancelled by Freetrade or the exchange when they’re 3 months old.

Yeah, this would be normal. The expiry date of all limit orders is 90 days.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.