Low carbon investment UK

Hi all,

I’m looking to invest in a low carbon fund from the UK. So far I’ve only found a hsbc one: £HSUK

I should also say that I am focused on carbon emissions more than ESG as this criteria feels more important to me.

Do you know of UK alternatives?

4 Likes

Buy three companies at attractive valuations which will benefit from a carbon credit based system?

I feel your pain. I don’t like many – if any – of the ETFs in this space. There’s a lot of greenwashing going on: slap an ‘ESG’ badge on something then charge more.

There are nearly 70 ETFs in the ‘climate change’ section on JustETF – most are stuffed with tech and health stocks screened by some broad and subjective criteria.

Like you, I’d rather invest in firms that are laser-focused on tackling the environmental problem at hand.

The clean energy or electric vehicle ETFs may be worth a look. You could also research the investment trusts in the AIC’s renewable energy infrastructure and environmental sectors.

1 Like

Also feeling your pain here. ESG is completely misnamed - Shell are ESG compliant and it’s probably possible for an arms manufacturer to achieve!

I have stocks like Green Coat Uk, Renewables infrastructure and although not strictly low carbon, L&G Battery Value Chain. The latter includes miners metal producers and car manufacturers which all contribute to a low carbon economy, but probably also add to the problem.

If you know if any funds we can always request them. It would be handy to have a diversified fund I didn’t have to think about too much in this area.

1 Like

Thanks all, I’m at the start of my journey so I’ve got a lot of research to do on the topic.

I’ve seen some folks talk about ChatGPT in another thread and I thought i’d give it a try for this. It’s a really interesting tool. I started by asking some low carbon stocks, then I asked for a list of 20, then for a description of each company, then their divident yield, and then to put it into a table. Here’s the result, exported with commas (I don’t seem to be able to make a table here):

Stock,Dividend Yield (as of September 2021),Description
DRX,4.3%,A power generation company that has been transforming its business to become a leader in sustainable biomass and carbon capture technologies.
GOOD,0.5%,A renewable energy company that supplies 100% renewable electricity and carbon-neutral gas to homes and businesses in the UK.
UKW,5.1%,A renewable infrastructure company that invests in onshore and offshore wind farms in the UK.
LCE,N/A,An investment company that specializes in renewable energy infrastructure and technologies.
ITM,N/A,A clean energy company that designs and manufactures hydrogen energy systems for energy storage and transportation.
CWR,N/A,A technology company that specializes in fuel cell technology for the clean energy sector.
ORSTED,1.7%,A Danish company with a significant presence in the UK that is one of the world’s largest developers of offshore wind farms.
SSE,5.5%,A UK-based energy company that has been shifting its focus towards renewable energy including wind and hydroelectric power.
BBOX,2.5%,A real estate investment trust that focuses on large-scale logistics facilities including many that are used for renewable energy storage and distribution.
ORIT,5.1%,An investment trust that owns a diversified portfolio of renewable energy assets including wind solar and hydroelectric power.
GRID,6.2%,A closed-end investment company that invests in energy storage systems and other energy infrastructure.
JLEN,5.8%,A renewable energy investment company that owns and operates a diversified portfolio of renewable energy assets including wind solar and biomass.
NESF,6.4%,An investment trust that owns a portfolio of solar power assets in the UK Italy and Spain.
JLEN,4.8%,An investment company that owns and operates a diversified portfolio of renewable energy assets including wind solar and anaerobic digestion.
TRIG,5.2%,An investment trust that owns a diversified portfolio of renewable energy assets including wind solar and hydroelectric power.
BSIF,6.0%,An investment trust that owns a portfolio of solar power assets in the UK.
FSFL,4.7%,An investment trust that owns a portfolio of solar power assets in the UK and other countries.
ABD,N/A,A crowdfunding platform that allows individuals to invest in renewable energy projects in the UK.
PZC,1.9%,A consumer goods company that has been implementing sustainable practices throughout its operations and supply chain.
PNN,4.1%,A utility company that operates in the water and waste management sectors and has been investing in renewable energy projects including wind and solar power.

I can’t guarantee any of this information is accurate, but it’s an fun way to start the journey.

3 Likes

Excellent post thanks Vicomte and I will be looking into some of those that I haven’t heard of. I currently already invest in some of them - UKW; NESF; FSFL. I did invest in TRIG and JLEN previously but I divested myself of them only because I want to make sure not to have overly many individual holdings.

P.S. I think you’ve added JLEN twice just FYI.

There are plenty of options.

Few of them are ETFs.

I’ve got

£TRIG £JLEN £DORE (not yet available on here) £GSF and £UKW.

I also have £NESF but considering selling it to buy more $USF.

Also $ECAR is an ETF in the electric car space. It provides a catch all alternative to holding individual EV company stocks

All assets listed are UK listed assets even though some are priced in USD.

On a side note I don’t quite get why a UK asset is priced in American Dollars. I’m curious as to why that might be.