Make the app available in all the App Stores (not just the UK ones)

How come I could not access the UK play store then?

@SebReitz because you donā€™t live in the UK

Of course I do. Just my previous phone was not bought in the UK.
Just checked. The play store on Android is not IP dependent (on my phone).

Have you tried?

Whatā€™s visible in Android Play Store depends on IP

According to the official Play Store documentation you can choose your (Android) Play Store irrespective of your physical location (or IP address). You can change it a maximum of once per year and you lose all your store credit. Which makes changing store locale to download one app a major inconvenience, just like on iOS.

1 Like

Yeah I saw, strange. The UK Play Store must just make some things unavailable when outside the country

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not with you here Freetrade.

Peopleā€™s life situations are complex (probably disproportionately so amongst this community) and itā€™s just a pain when apps have unnecessary territorial app store restrictions.

You have a free app which contains no territory-restricted IP. The fact that it may be of no value to 99.99999% of non-UK app store customers since you have a product that is currently only for UK residents is neither here nor there - they can just ignore it.

If Monzo can make its app available on all app stores, why canā€™t Freetrade?

2 Likes

Definitely not true, at least for iPhones. I have a Hong Kong iPhone and Iā€™ve been able to download and use UK-based apps such as Freetrade and Starling without issue.

Whether itā€™s a Hong Kong iPhone is irrelevant - itā€™s what countryā€™s App Store youā€™re using.

2 Likes

Of course, but it looks like you missed the part where he said the country the phone was bought from matters which is why I replied to say thatā€™s not the case.

You did, but you didnā€™t give the precise reason for this. I replied to provide more precision.

I appreciate it may not have been obvious to you as I didnā€™t include a quote in my reply, but as I was replying to a single point he made the reply is obvious to him and therefore there was no need for me to spell it out.

Thatā€™s not my point. My point is that you didnā€™t explain why you were able to download ā€œUK-based appsā€, only that you were able to. I provided some additional colour on the matter, so my reply was complementary to yours.

Perhaps we can end this discussion here. :blush:

Hereā€™s the context. His comment stated:

ā€œStarling does not allow downloads from phones outside the UKā€

Which is the point I replied with counter-evidence proving itā€™s not the case.

You replied to me saying:

ā€œWhether itā€™s a Hong Kong iPhone is irrelevantā€

Is literally just repeating what Iā€™ve saidā€¦ Itā€™s kind of like person A making the statement ā€œthe colour of ball affects how bouncy the ball isā€ and person B replying ā€œI have two different coloured balls and they are just as bouncy as each otherā€.

Nothing more is needed. But then person C comes along and says to person C ā€œthe colour of the ball is irrelevantā€ - If at all he should be telling person A!

Except you already stated itā€™s to do with the App store region in your comment above mine, so not only are you repeating what Iā€™ve already said but youā€™re repeating what you already said.

The meaning of the quoted sentence is actually that Starling does not allow downloads from phones located outside the UK, which you didnā€™t actually address (even if I accept that this was probably not the intended semantic).

It also wasnā€™t clear from @SebReitzā€™s comment whether he was referring to iPhones or Android phones (and thus to the App Store or the Play Store).

In any case, why are we continuing to debate this? It doesnā€™t matter.

(Please allow me to apologize in advance for this impertinent interference for I canā€™t help myselfā€¦ Iā€™m sick)

Ahā€¦ donā€™t you love hermeneutics :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No it doesnā€™t. Someone asked him if itā€™s based on IP and the very first thing he said was ā€œnoā€, after which he said ā€œWhere your phone was bought or apple/gmail accounts set up.ā€

So itā€™s clear he was referring to where the phone was bought from which is again the comment I was replying to.

And it was clear he has an Android from another comment, but as him and you both said itā€™s either based on the account of the store, in which case the brand of phone shouldnā€™t matter.

And weā€™re having this conversation because you keep trying to make me look stupid while making redundant and inane comments and Iā€™m calling you out for it.

Again youā€™ve yet to add anything new to the conversation that wasnā€™t already established by one of us 3 previously. Just leave it at that.

This has been wonderfully amusing,thanks peopleā€‹:grinning::grinning::joy::gift:

2 Likes

I am in the same situation, and moving between app stores requires that I cancel all my subscriptions. Would be great if we could get a solution for thisā€¦

2 Likes