Megathread - Crowdfunding

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Great update! Thank you.
On the secondary market and off Seeders ownership. You wouldn’t be able to trade CC raised equity though presumably?
I really think CC are falling dangerously behind with their reluctance to build a secondary market…

3 Likes

I was interested to invest, but did not see any EIS / SEIS… :frowning:

6 posts were split to a new topic: Coconut crowdfunding

Really excited to hear more details about this as a long term backer of GoHenry - hopefully they are really on the cusp of significant growth in the US…

1 Like

They are a Spanish company, so no EIS, as this is a British scheme.

Thanks for the update and wow Seedrs blowing CC out of the water :exploding_head:

Can’t wait for all of these new features!

3 Likes

(Emphasis from me)

First of all, thanks for saying thanks/kind words, not just you but everyone :blush: Anyway, let me shed light on that question:

Short version: Yes, you would potentially be able to trade crowdcube raised equity, it’s actually already been done.

Longer version:

Seedrs are able to put any directly own shares from CC raises into their nominee structure (this means carry fees btw); Crowdcube likely wouldn’t allow this for nominee shares. So directly-owned shares shares directly from previous CC funded business could be sold on Seedrs’ secondary market, potentially to anyone. :woman_shrugging: In fact, they have done this already with Innis and Gunn (their seedrs raise didn’t need to happen for this to take place). What’s interesting is that secondary transactions in private equity are easily a multi-billiion pound market. I’ll try and put the scale into context; Imagine being able to buy Deliveroo or SpaceX employee options/VC secondaries on Seedrs? :astonished: One can dream.

But let me say that I’ve always been supportive of Crowdcube’s decision to forego a secondary market for now. I recall that the Idea was that leaving it out allows them to focus on scaling instead, and if leaving out a secondary market has helped them somehow better utilise resources to get the likes of Patch plants, Cowboy, Finisterre, etc on board - then i’m all for it.

Secondary markets have obvious great benefits, but here's a few disadvantages that aren't talked about
  • No EIS relief on secondary transactions. Also, if you sell eis-eligible shares within 3 years, you have to pay back the eis relief. Crucially, if your first investment in a business isn’t EIS eligible, you void your ability to claim eis relief on that business in future rounds.

• Asymmetric information - sellers will always have more information than buyers, meaning inefficient pricing.

not tax advice btw!

Very interesting how these two businesses have taken very different approaches to execution. :thinking:

8 Likes

Can you articulate a bit more? They just opened a new round on seedrs.

3 Likes

I’ll let the founder explain directly :wink: :arrow_heading_down:

He’s as transparent as founders get, by the way.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I cannot mention what company it was, but we shared the case transparently on Linkedin here.

Also, this is not client churn, but a loss of a potential contract.

btw, we are excited about our partnership with Seedrs, and you can hear Joel (their CPO) talk all about it in the video on our Seedrs campaign which is in private mode until Monday :wink: CityFALCON | EIS Crowdfunding Opportunity | Seedrs

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ruzbeh Bacha
Founder and CEO,
CityFALCON

5 Likes

Crowdcube is targeting quantity rather quality by deciding to prioritise scaling rather than adding a secondary market. But are we sure that what’s good for Crowdcube is good for crowd investors? Only a system involving carry would align Crowdcube’s incentives with those of the crowd investors. Seedrs makes money only when investors make money. This is not the case for Crowdcube. Carry is also the solution used in the private equity industry.

There are a few things I like on Seedrs compared to CC besides the secondary market. Seedrs allows private conversations with the companies w/o usage of e-mail as its handled directly on their platform. Additionally, non-UK companies raise money in their national currencies (usually EUR) and overall, the invested amount is charged on the day of the investment, which allows for better control of FX exchange rates. With CC it takes ages and it’s unpredictable when the amount will be charged.

6 Likes

Breaking News: Fintech entrepeneur Goncalo de Vasconcelos, will be doing an AMA (ask me anything) on Freetrade's community

Goncalo de Vasconcelos, pictured above

About Goncalo

Goncalo is the founder of Syndicateroom, one of the leading equity crowdfunding platforms in the UK. Syndicateroom has seen over £215million invested into startups, and has been especially succesfull funding life sciences startups, but has also invested in the likes of Urban Jungle (Fintech), Luckytrip (Travel) and Recycling technologies (Cleantech). Goncalo stepped down as CEO recently to focus on his new venture, but remains on Syndicateroom’s board of advisors.

Goncalo’s new venture is an insuretech starup called RNWL, focussed on saving consumers money when it comes to renewing insurance - it has already received regulatory approval from the FCA. RNWL will soon be launching a crowdfunding campaign - you can register for the waiting list here. As syndicateroom now only facilitates fund (i.e. no investing in startups directly) investments , Goncalo must choose between Seedrs and Crowdcube for the crowdfund - drop by for the AMA if you want to share any thoughts on which he should use.

image image

logos for syndicateroom and RNWL, pictured above

About the AMA

Goncalo will begin answering questions this Monday at 8pm, and it’s expected the answers will last around one hour. The AMA will open for questions shortly prior to Monday, so we can gather as many questions as possible. I’ll be moderating the discussion. More information to follow soon, so stay tuned.

This AMA will hopefully be the first of many, and is part of a casual partnership with Freetrade to make their community the go-to place for all things around equity crowdfunding, from news to research and much more…

23 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Allplants crowdfunding

I am a minnow! Some of those numbers are giving me a nosebleed given the average investment on those platforms…

6 Likes

Does a website/database exist anywhere tracking companies that have crowdfunded (latest raises, valuation points etc)? Would love it if it did.

2 Likes

I think Ecf.buzz keep a database for all that

Thanks, will check it out

Hi Andrew,
It looks like you’ve been to Rnwl’s pre-registration page for our upcoming crowdfunding! Great to see and thank you! I wouldn’t worry too much about those numbers. All investors, small or large, are welcomed. That’s the whole point of crowdfunding!

In fact, I go much farther than that. 100 investors of ÂŁ100 each add far more value than one investor for ÂŁ10,000 for a B2C company like Rnwl. Freetrade community is the perfect example of precisely that! Of course we also have the larger ticket investors and they add their value too. Bring on 1,000 investors of ÂŁ100 and see me jumping up and down of happiness!

Crowdfunding it’s all about getting your current and future customers to help you building a great business. Their feedback as passionate early adopters is incredibly valuable. Again, just look at this forum!

Don’t forget to sign up to be one of the first to hear about our crowdfunding round when it goes live. We’re at the beginning of our journey and the valuation reflects just that.

Thanks a million,
Goncalo (founder of Rnwl)

5 Likes