Megathread - Crowdfunding

I’m a previous investor in Oval. I had to make a formal complaint to Seedrs after they told me that B class shareholders were “not entitled to information”. I understand they’re doing well but found this disappointing.

1 Like

Agree with @101, great post.

Did anyone invest in Coconut last time round? How has their progress been?

1 Like

I made a small investment in Coconut in their last Crowdcube campaign. The company seems to be growing well so will have a think about another investment in the new campaign.

1 Like

Here are the more interesting ones out of those I have yet to share. This quarter is the most active for crowdfunding, so I may well find myself adding to this list in the coming weeks. These are all mostly slated for Q4 2019, if not Q1 2020.

Fintech

Monzo? I’ve good reason to believe Monzo will be raising this quarter: A ~7m crowd raise this year was planned for this year in earlier pitch decks. Monzo have yet to disallow existing investors to follow-on in institutional rounds, such as Y combinatinor’s investment earier this year.

Emma finance? The founder is seriously considering crowdfunding and I remember Crowdcube badgering the team on twitter to crowdfund haha, albeit a while ago :L

Feel free to voice your interest if you’d really like to see Emma crowdfund.

Propio - p2p lending platform

Baanx - a cryptocurrency focussed banking startup. pre-register here

Venture Capital/EIS funds

Sustainable accelerator - a fund geared towards sustainable companies. The SEIS relief nets you 50% of your money back - working out such that if just one investee co. exits @ around 3x and all the others fail, you’ve made a positive ROI overall. ‘Good Club’ is probably they’re most well known portfolio co. pre-register here.

Above fund - An EIS fund effectively led by Brent Hoberman, founder of lastminute.com. Also Invested in Feedr, Reposit and Luckytrip. pre-register here

Miscellaneous

Small Robot Company - Small robots that automate and micromanage the farming process.

31Dover - A surprisingly high growth, popular online seller of alcoholic drinks, delivering within 24 hours of purchase. pre-register here

Doorsteps - The UK’s cheapest major online estate agent, looks to be raising in near future.

Other notes: Seedrs look set to launch a pre-emption club. Basically members of said club get access to otherwise private pre-emption campaigns. These pre-emptions can be great inflection points where Cos have reached certain milestones, will accelerate growth, or have attracted notable VCs. For instance, Tandem bank did a pre-emption campaign a few months ago, with Convo Global as lead investors attached. I think it’s best if you know (or are!) an existing shareholder though, as pre-emption campaigns don’t typically offer the wealth of information a full blown round would.

4 Likes

Source for this?

As an active Seedrs investor, we wanted to share that we are exploring the possibility of introducing a Seedrs Pre-emption Club to our network of Sophisticated and High Net Worth (HNW) investors.

Having reached a portfolio of almost 400 active companies we are facilitating an average of 5 pre-emption campaigns per month. More often than not, the allocation available to the Seedrs nominee is not fully taken up, thus leaving enough space for Seedrs Investors that match the Sophisticated or High Net Worth certification (a regulatory requirement) to participate in the pre-emption round under our nominee.

The Club will have access to exclusive pre-emption campaigns on the platform. Each campaign will only provide a limited amount of information as these are usually open to existing investors only. Investors may request more information from the business directly through the pre-emption campaign page, but please note that any such information is not reviewed or verified by Seedrs.

3 Likes

I invested in their first raise, I regretted it for a while as I had heard nothing and Purple Bricks, Emoov et al. seemed to be in difficulty. But they seem to be making progress now. I’m a bit happier about it

From the grapevine:

Brewdog will raise capital through a bond via crowdcube later this month; the bond will pay 6% interest - half in cash, half in beer. Whilst, the investment isn’t to my personal tastes, i’m glad to see crowdfunding platforms enter mainstream. Alternatively, Brewdog are still offering shares.

Moneybox - the wealth manager known for its roundups, is offering ‘shares’ as an incentive for taking up their pension product. The ‘share’s’ are probably more likely a ‘right to payment’ type deal, similar to moneydashboard’s referral scheme earlier this year. Likely several terms and conditions worth being aware of. Advise contacting their support team if of interest.

Will drop news of a pretty Interesting high profile fintech raise in around a week, so stay tuned :wink:

7 Likes

Do I need to save some cash? Was going to go all in with JustPark but maybe I need to hold back a little?

Where did you hear that from?
Monzo already raised twice in the last year, crowd and VC. They sure don’t need more money at this moment.

Not sure if @anon1435622 meant it to sound like they would be raising as part of the YC round, however I think if they do a crowdfund it would be part of a new fund-raise at a much higher val.

Revolut, Starling?

Is it Viola Black?! :joy_cat:

Move over Monzo!

2 Likes

Keep guessing guys :wink: @Stephen was close with Revolut in a way… but the raise won’t be from a bank :slight_smile:

In other news, Allplants, the Octopus ventures (Zoopla, Secret Escapes, Patch, etc) backed vegan food delivery startup -think mindful chef meets beyond meat- may well be crowdfunding on Seedrs soon. Seedrs founder Jeff Lynn sent around an email saying they are engaged in discussion, and that he would be grateful if anyone could message Allplants here requesting that they crowdfund with Seedrs.

7 Likes

Effie are crowdfunding on Seedrs soon. I think they’re a bit expensive and there could definitely be alternatives. As someone who HATES ironing shirts they peaked my interest initially as a buyer but wouldn’t invest. 2020 breakout sector is Irontech :joy:

5 Likes

Robin hood …?

3 Likes

Freetrade? :wink:

2 Likes

I really want this company to succeed, but I think there will be too many blockers regarding condition of mines and the cost to upkeep them, not sure still reviewing.

https://www.crowdcube.com/companies/gravitricity-ltd/pitches/b0ejvq

1 Like

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/305563/why-dont-we-use-weights-to-store-energy

3 Likes

I want to see bymiles crowdfund. Truly destructive.

3 Likes