Megathread - Crowdfunding

Thanks for the link everyone! Appreciate it

1 Like

Just to let you know I have changed my mind and decided to invest in Plum , to see what happens in future.
It seems there is something others know that I donā€™t , seeing the interest.
I have now invested.

2 Likes

Can somebody also DM the links? Thanks Ć  lot.

1 Like

Sorry any chance you can do the same for me? Thank you!

1 Like

:wave:t2: Link please?

Fingers crossed, I am now invested in Chip and Plum too.Letā€™s see where it takes us :blush::blush::blush:

2 Likes

Your profile is Private.

Please could some share the link? Tvm

Chip at Ā£10m, Plum already at Ā£4m after two hours. When Freetrade finally do their next raise theyā€™re going to fry Crowdcubeā€™s serversā€¦

7 Likes

againā€¦

6 Likes

Edit: Thanks!

I watched Chipā€™s pitch video and I understood it as ā€œyou should invest in us because Revolut and Monzo are worth billions and we might be one day, tooā€ā€¦:crazy_face:

This is not investing.

9 Likes

Completely agree. They are brilliant in marketing their own company as a investment, I give them this.

3 Likes

I, too, found that very odd last time round: ā€œhereā€™s what your investment would be worth if Chipā€™s valuation was the same as Revolut/Monzo/whatever.ā€ Why not compare themselves to Microsoft or Tesla? I invested in early rounds, and glad to see growth and hype, but I wonā€™t be participating again.

8 Likes

Ah yes. It is playing on the FOMO and the inherently optimistic nature of the human mind that extrapolates good stories ad infinitum. They smartly anchored themselves to the 1-2 outliers of the fintech world that are wildly succesful.

Like I said, excellent marketing. I just wished they apply this to the actual customers and growth, not to raising money.

I found that to be quite off-putting actually and is the main reason I decided not to invest.

1 Like

I didnā€™t reinvest in Chip because the messaging and the product tiers feel less clear these days.

1 Like

I think I have followed every one of Chipā€™s round on CC, but couldnā€™t get myself to invest in the company.

Early on, their business model wasnā€™t very clear and thatā€™s why Iā€™m not surprised that they keep on crowdfunding this frequent to support their growth. They were and still are not very responsive to or vague if they do answer, tough questions on the Discussions.

This time around, I feel that they play too much marketing tricks which are to me bordering on being misleading. One is that all ordinary A investors who invested in the private part of this round were lumped together as one? Making it appear to those who donā€™t look closely that an entity is investing over 3m! Why the need to do that? Is it because they couldnā€™t get a single VC to support them?

How about that Yates guy they announced as an investor? They couldnā€™t clearly answer if they offered that guy shares and then promoted him as an investor. They could not answer straight if the guy used his own money to buy Chip shares. Simple question.

There are several other stuff I would consider as red flag to me too. But yes they are very good marketers, enough to entice everyday investors to invest in them, but apparently no VC yet.

Well, good luck to those who invested in them. I hope many of us who felt the same way are wrong on this, and those who invested their money in Chip would get handsome returns.

2 Likes

VCā€™s are not the be all and end all. Chip are very very good at monetising and incentivising their customers. I also like the fact that they count an active customer as someone with a positive balance as opposed to the curve/Plum nonsense that is anyone who downloads the app and connects their bank,which does not tell you how many do not connect again after 90 days.

Have a look at the Plum raise on Crowdcube particularly the last 5 or 6 questions,the vagueness of the answers are astounding.

Reddit I think is the best format for discussing crowdfundings as you can post each news article as a topic. I looked at starting a crowdfunding subreddit off this comment, but looks like thereā€™s already one: https://www.reddit.com/r/equity_crowdfunding/