Megathread - Crowdfunding

Thank you! Appreciate the advice :kissing_heart:

1 Like

How long do you have?

I realised this week I never sent my Monzo one off from 2019 - silly sausage!

Monzo never applied to be considered for EIS relief due to Banking being an excluded activity. Even in the first round when Mondo were not even a bank they did not apply to be considered for it.

A bit lazy (or rushed-through?, or over-cautious?) of them imho, as I think first round Revolut investors got EIS relief (someone correct me if I am wrong?).and they were always barking up the same tree as Monzo.

I think it may have been the fact that they had already made a banking license application which made them scared to question the “no banks” rules of the EIS scheme, whereas Revolut could just say “we’re a trading app” or something.

3 Likes

So past me has already realised EIS wasn’t available but didn’t leave any clues for future me to find. Thanks for the info - I’m really hoping for some good news from Monzo at some point in the next 4-6 months. So far up up 0%!

1 Like

Does anybody know for certain how many times you can claim tax relief (30%) for a given investment?

My understanding is that you can only claim it once (30%) per investment. However, I recently consulted an accounting firm and I’ve been told you can actually claim tax relief in up to 3 different tax years (i.e. 90% of your initial investment can be claimed back).

It sounds far too good to be true. Do I need a second opinion on this?:joy:

2 Likes

That sounds very dodgy to me

1 Like

What are we look at here @Stav - great advice or visit from HMRC and stretch in the porridge?

3 Likes

I say claim it 4 times so u can make money from the investment even if it fails lol

5 Likes

Ok ok, I think I’ll stick to the more “traditional” tax relief approach then! Thanks for clarifying! :slight_smile:

I can share this firm’s details in case anybody is interested though! lol

1 Like

The HMRC will be very interested I think

2 Likes

I think you need to hold the EIS for 3 years in order for it to qualify for the relief and believe you have up to five years to claim that 30% relief from the investment date (the investment date being the date the money was actually invested in the asset, not the date you made the contribution)
You can only claim the relief once. Although I think you can carry back any unused allowance one year.

1 Like

Second opinion : Find a new accountant.

2 Likes

I’m PAYE, claimed the relief successfully (I think) but never received the 30% back from HMRC. How would this usually arrive?

Depends on circumstance, but most likely via a change to your tax code that raises your tax free allowance.

A comment somewhere on this forum from someone about an EIS claim wa so something like - submitted in June and after they chased HMRC they were told they should expect it to be processed by March.

I do mine on self-assessment and have always had my refund within a week.

2 Likes

I am PAYE and it has always been done through my tax code. I would prefer it sent as a lump sum so if anyone knows how to do this on PAYE please let me know.

1 Like

I’m PAYE too, not self-employed. I registered for self-assessment only for claiming these tax reliefs. It’s a right faff to begin with, but straightforward each year once you know what you’re doing.

1 Like

You can only claim each subscription once.

Either in the tax year the shares were issued. Or you can carry it back so the relief is applied to the tax year before the shares were issued.

Google the help sheet: “HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme – Income Tax relief”. It’s quite readable.

3 Likes

Yes please I’d like to report them to ICAEW