Megathread - Crowdfunding

When you fill your EIS3 form, you select “the previous year” rather than “the year in which the shares were issued”. Then they send you either a cheque by post, or tell you to give them your bank details, and pay you the whole sum rather than change your task code.

1 Like

The only other time you can make a tax claim on a EIS/SEIS investment is for loss relief once the value of your investment is zero (eg the company has gone out of business or you’ve crystallised a loss). It’s a fair bit more complicated to do on the self assessment so you probably need to get an HMRC agent to talk you through it.

Did anyone else invest in ID Finance in 2019? Just had an email staying their coming back for another round soon.

Added 5k users and just turned profitable. They’re targeting a Fintech revolution in Mexico, Spain & Latin America. This is a massively untapped market.

2 Likes

I did, but just a small sum when I was starting my crowdfunding investment journey. They seem to be doing very well in Spain and Mexico, not sure if they are planning to go to other Latin American countries.

The market in Latin America is massive, I wish we can invest more in fintech start ups there.

EDIT: This is their Spanish product Plazo: https://www.plazo.es/

2 Likes

Where are they raising?

Crowdcube

Thanks Alex.
I’ve only recently started participating in crowdfunding. 3 small investments so far. I’m trying to resist the temptation to do more for a while but may still be interested if I come across particularly exciting opportunities.

I like Fintech as it’s a business I can understand but there are lots of nice apps out there that won’t do anything. Like @cadiazm I only put in a little bit will probably match or increase this time round. Their TAM is huge if they can execute.

What did they raise at previously?

Monzo new raise is more like where it should be

3 Likes

What’s your source please? I never received any update from them.

I thought with Nick’s ramblings about how they are taking over the software world and may become a :unicorn: that we’d be at least at a £500m valuation by now, but what is £1.70… £30-40m??

Vita Mojo sets off a lot of red flags for me. The CEO is a snake oil salesman and I would love to sell at the earliest opportunity :hushed:

3 Likes

Here is a Wefunder Fintech opportunity that I’m looking closely at right now. Thoughts?

https://wefunder.com/mycardblanch/ask

Very early stage with high risk high reward - just what I like :sunglasses:

I was wondering about this, too. Got to be worth a $100 punt, now it has the Tick Tock seal of approval. :wink:

1 Like

No pressure then :rofl: :wink:

Yeah I’ve just invested and managed to secure the early bird terms of $3.5M instead of $5M. If these guys are even half as successful as we hope that will make a HUGE difference to the ROI on exit.

Good luck out there mate…

I like what I see at Card Blanch so I’ve just made an investment too, thereby dooming you guys and anyone else who’s already invested :skull_and_crossbones: :cow: Sorry.

8 Likes

Me, too.

Any thoughts on Gamestar+ and Talino Venture Labs?

@CashCow :rofl: :rofl:

With the move to digital wallets I don’t really see how Curve / Card Blanche fit into this. What’s the benefit to the end user other than simplicity

1 Like

Remember we’re talking about the market in “a 3rd world country that’s wearing a Gucci belt”. They still sign sign when using their cards in stores, the uptake of Apple/Google pay has been abysmal over there too and they also have to pay to withdraw from cash machines.

It feels like their miles behind the rest of the world so I think something like this has the scope to do well.

That’s exactly it the simplicity and automation is key here and importantly the integration of your reward cards together with the bank cards is the first of its kind here in the US. If you watch a couple of the pitch clips and read into some of the details it’s a pretty sexy solution.

1 Like