Megathread - 🔥 Dividend Fest 🔥

Yes, I haven’t had any div’s yet for July

1 Like

Interesting. I got my other July dividends ok up until the GKP one.

Wonder what the problem is? Hopefully nothing too concerning.

GKP dividend has now been added to my account balance, although doesn’t appear in my activity trail nor have I received official notification.

At least it’s arrived now :+1:

1 Like

I’ve had an email about my GKP dividend

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: MEGATHREAD: New subscription plans :repeat:

£65.83 received in Dividends for July :smiley:

12 Likes

Come on @shabbaddabbado we love a graph here. Give us what we wanttttt!

Good work though, nice bit of passive income.

9 Likes

I am moving away from my previous concentration on big dividend payers. The rotation from growth to value has left a lot of growth on much better valuations. Particularly investment trusts which are now trading on discounts which they never traded on before.
Terry Smith (Fundsmith) is always saying you should buy growth and sell shares if you want income. Over the long run hes right but i bought Smithson Investment Trust it was up 126% and eventually fell to 35% gain.
Due to my inability to see into the future I will keep some dividend paying investment trusts.

2 Likes

The problem with this (for me, anyway) is that come the time when I want income, as a buy and hold investor who rarely sells, psychologically, I know for a fact that this will cause me stress. When to sell (oh no, must I try to time the market…?) Monthly, quarterly or annually?

Don’t get me wrong, I will have to sell some equities, but the dividend part of my portfolio will really soften the blow.

4 Likes

Has anyone got a complete list of monthly dividend payers ?

I use this website:

I can see that web page is showing Mercantile, the last one I checked out, but you can have a good look around the website. It has a list of monthly and quarterly payers.

2 Likes

It’s tough getting even quarterly dividend payers sometimes in UK stocks, you’re more likely to find them on US stocks. Gladstone Commercial Corporation (GOOD) pays monthly and I’ve seen mentioned a few times on this forum although I’ve not invested in them as I’m not sure I like their financials at the moment. Some US ETFs pay monthly dividends but I’ve struggled to find any I like on FreeTrade.

The compromise I’ve done is to try to buy quarterly dividend stocks that pay out at different times. So for example, GSK pay out January April July October while NextEnergySolar and Greencoat pay out February May August November and Renewable Infrastructure (Energy Trust) pay out March June September December. It’s a hassle I admit and it does mean that income can vary wildly between months, but if I don’t want to compromise when it comes to being sure of what I invest in, I suspect it’s the best that’s going to be available for now.

EDIT - one typo fix and making it a bit clearer that GOOD is a monthly dividend stock.

3 Likes

I’m liking the look of Blackrock World Mining (BRWM) at the moment. Just starting to build something with them.

Currently for quarterly i’m holding Diversified Energy Company (DEC), Nextenergy solar fund (NESF) and Hipgnosis (SONG)

3 Likes

I3 energy pay a monthly div, only 0.1425p per share but paid every 1st Fri of the month so far this year.

4 Likes

I’ve recently opened a position in BRWM as well. I may add BERI too, a Blackrock trust which focuses on energy. I’ll be buying both more for the diversification than the income.

Heard of BRWM but can’t find BERI ON freetrade :frowning:

Same view.

Not that I dont have stocks more focused on growth, but ive no plans to sell them for cash. I bought them to grow, not to cut down how much of them I own.

dividend paying stocks allow more flexibility in what to do with the income without selling down your stake in the company (however small or large it may be). likewise dividend based stocks im also not planning to sell, I bought them deliberately to keep long term and pay out cash that can be put to various uses without reducing my stake.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s not on FT. Neither is CYN. Both are relatively small trusts compared with BRWM.

I have made a request for you.

Please vote for it if you are interested: [Request] Blackrock Energy and Resources Income Trust PLC (BERI) ⛏

3 Likes

I’ve not done this specifically, but I do have some dividend paying stocks which pay out on different months. Last I looked I think only 3 months of the year I don’t get any dividend.

Id caution against looking specifically for monthly paying dividends or a collection of dividends to cover every month over looking for good companies regardless of when they pay dividends. There is the possibility of falling into the trap of aiming for the wrong thing and ending up with companies which might not be that great.

2 Likes