MEGATHREAD: Portuguese, Belgian and Austrian stocks ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น

thanks. Although I need an official answer from FT, because only they really know :slight_smile:

@soko If you want more details ping Freetrade directly from your app or email them.

2 Likes

Didnโ€™t realise some of these countries had such high withholding tax rates

4 Likes

Where can I find EDPR? Itโ€™s in Lisbon 20 (PSI20).
I see that EDP is there but not the renewal energies one EDPR.

@Coolsmp Yeah, it is quite a knock for dividend chasing investors. Iโ€™ve come to terms with the 15% rate from US dividends so anything more feels like an even harder kick to the ghoulies.

Found this off the internet that can explain a bit more for whoever wants to know more:

Foreign Dividends

3 Likes

You would think these countries donโ€™t want foreign investment

1 Like

I must admit itโ€™s is a bit of a blow. I suppose investing in European stocks as a purely Dividend investor might not be the best way forward.

I hold one German stock and 2 Finnish stocks.

1 Like

Withholding is applicable to local residents too. Actually as a non-resident you can claim back withholding in at least one of those countries by directly applying for it.

1 Like

This is correct.

However Iโ€™d only really recommend trying if you have a large position or many large-ish positions in a single country IE Germany.

The paperwork side of things might put some off so this is why I make that suggestion.

Also since I am a British-Romanian dual national I know what the beuracracy is like in Romania, it wouldnโ€™t entirely surprise me is some other EU countries are top heavy with beuracracy.

Officially speaking: please note Iโ€™m not a tax advisor and if unsure please consider speaking with a professional tax adviser.

1 Like

You are of course right. In one of those countries the procedure to claim back is actually very very simple. But you will be hit by language, so you need to speak it or have a best friend that does. They even transfer the money to your bank account anywhere in the world - well perhaps not everywhere :rofl:. No cheques Maโ€™am.

p.s. of course if your dividends exceed ยฃ2000 you will still have to pay UK income tax โ€ฆ so you will need to consider whether it is worth claiming back that money and instead just getting appropriate relief so that there is no double taxation going on.

While withholding tax is large on dividends in Belgium, they donโ€™t have a capital gains tax. So if you are resident in Belgium, itโ€™s best to invest in growth stocks.
Happy with the new additions although not all stocks are listed.
Belgian National Bank is very expensive and little traded. Also, through some legal engineering, the government who owns 50% of the shares rakes in most of the dividends.
BPost: it has been on a trajectory. I think it might bounce back now that there has been a change in the leadership.

1 Like

On a side note: I hope bpost implode for their โ‚ฌ15 admin fees levies on low value non-EU imports that were marked as โ€œgiftโ€. Grrr

BNB - Unsure I want to invest in a government now that I know! :slight_smile:

Since this year, all packages outside of the EU have to pay import taxes/VAT. There is no exception anymore for gifts. But the 15 euro admin fee is arbitrary, other couriers also charge ridiculous fees.

yep the admin fee is the immoral part.
Cheaper by dhl to send into BE.

You can avoid German withholding tax by setting up an account with a German broker. They will class you as a tax-alien (tax foreigner is a more accurate translation) and no withholding tax will apply. Slightly cumbersome process but doable.

2 Likes

Itโ€™s not.

Divs paid to Belgian residents are paid without withholding tax , but must be declared in the tax return.

The first โ‚ฌ800 paid in dividends per annum is exempt from tax .

Then 30% tax rate is applied on the amount above.

The context here is the OPโ€™s comment which is what I was replying too.

So the point is that local residents do not have this tax free (beyond their local allowances). They too are taxed at the same rate on their local dividends as are non residents.

I get your point though. My point is whatever you call it the dividend tax is paid by local and non local residents. Non local residents in general can reclaim this tax but it might not be worth it given their own local tax regime. In many cases locals have to pay more tax if the foreign withholding is less than the local whatever-you-call-it tax.

Yep, agreed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.