Meta - META - Share Chat

Your comments shows the problem Facebook face with meta verse they have a great product with fantastic marketing campaigns & an obvious market fit yet they’re not ubiquitous- they should be in as many homes as Alexa/Ok Google.

I won’t tag Nick because I don’t feel it’s fair, but Nick Fell VP of Marketing was in charge / a lead voice at portal marketing. If you see this the muppet campaign was great and you can share all the gossip about Kermit, we won’t tell anyone.

2 Likes

Meta’s Reality Labs:

Q1 2021 Reality Labs Loss From Operations: $1.8 billion.
Q2 2021 Reality Labs Loss From Operations: $2.4 billion.
Q3 2021 Reality Labs Loss From Operations: $2.6 billion.
Q4 2021 Reality Labs Loss From Operations: $3.3 billion.

Totals $10.2 billion losses.

Its a good job other parts of the meta platforms can carry this until they make profit.

3 Likes

If they don’t grow profits they’re in trouble. Reality lads will cost over $20bn by 2024 and with $12bn wiped off thanks to Apple the cupboard is looking increasingly bare.

Could they not just become separate companies that work together? I know they have been going on about splitting for a long time and unsure if it will actually happen. Would American senators let companies from other countries then get an edge by not splitting? Look at Samsung and Siemmens for example they cross many sectors.

Facebook may be bigger and richer but does it cross as many sectors? No. Even if it split they would still have more than enough to buy start up companies out still. Also, this is why I would still not bet against being a good investment as if they split surely your shares would as well and may end uop worth more in total.

Agree on Apple though :+1: Facebook is for middle aged people and the youth think of it as what I probably think of MySpace :rofl: Apple on the other hand is cool to all generations whilst being an excellent product, most of the time.

They almost are already. Facebook are probably unfairly targeted for their outsized position in speech but they’re less of an anti trust case than Apple or Google but Facebook have a cloud that follows them.

The theory would be that if you set Facebook and Instagram against each other they’d innovate in different ways and find new revenue streams which would be good for users.

1 Like

And countries, it’s back as the number one phone in China

1 Like

Facebook considering pull from EU due to data restrictions

2 Likes

A game of chicken Facebook think the EU will lose? I’d love it if the EU held firm and Facebook lost.

2 Likes

How could the EU lose? If Facebook follow the rules the EU wins and if Facebook leave, they win. It is all about securing user data for their residents.

1 Like

They can process (and crucially share) EU customer data easily in the US of course, they just have to ask explicit permission from customers to do so, which they don’t want to do for obvious reasons (makes it clear that their business model is selling user information in aggregate).

Withdrawing from the EU would not help them anyway even if it was remotely possible for them - GDPR applies to EU citizens living in other countries and EU citizens connecting to US servers. This is a transparent bluff which will not go well.

Portal looks like a great product to me - the kind of single-function device for a popular function Apple and Amazon should have jumped on by now frankly - interesting to see Facebook expanding into hardware as Amazon has.

I’d be a lot more optimistic about FB if they were doubling down on that sort of communication device rather than the ‘metaverse’, which is redolent of second life and friends and those company controlled walled gardens from aol, yahoo etc which were supposed to be the future of the internet way back in the 90s, but with better graphics and a horrible headset which nobody is going to wear (see 3D TV or other VR headsets which people have tried and don’t like). Having seen the trailer it is dead on arrival IMO.

For specific work situations and with way better hardware, VR can be really useful (e.g. integration with teloperated machinery), but it is nowhere near mass market and when it does get to mass market I wouldn’t trust a large corporation like Meta to run it.

3 Likes

Sadly I not so sure that would be correct. So many people are addicted to social media and would hate the institution that prevented them from posting how great their lives were pretending to be. Maybe the EU is too big but country governments would potentially get voted out pretty quick.

100%! and not a very good one either. How could they build a metaverse and then cut of 350m of the highest value users.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s if you assume Facebook and Instagram platforms bring no value to the EU. Businesses probably rely on billions of $ of revenue from them, assuming that’s how much is spent on advertising. There’s hundreds of millions of people that enjoy using the platforms.

Yes, there is that side to it. The EU do like to protect their citizens though and I’m not sure how often they back down on things like data. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire added: “I can confirm that life would be very good without Facebook and that we would live very well without Facebook.”

2 Likes

I don’t think it has “backfired”. My read is FB’s message is for the US side to increase efforts on a solution and to portray themselves as in difficulty, again to the US side. I suspect FB have little leverage with Europe’s leaders around GDPR, and if France and Germany react by barking in this way, it would help with this narrative aimed at the US regulators and government.

So picture this, you’re a highly touted software developer in the Bay Area and you’ve got all the big tech companies pitching for your services. How much extra would you want to be paid so they can call you a MetaMate instead of employee?

2 Likes

Colleagues and Teammates is so last year we are all now Metamates :laughing:

2 Likes

Amazon = PrimeMates
Sony = PlayMate
Freetrade = FreeMates

7 Likes