Must buy new phone

Hi been told from FT as of 1st June need to buy new phone if I wish to carry on trading. Anyone know would my account be safe after a few years with no new phone? Also how hard after a few years would it be to access account with new phone?

1 Like

I presume you’re on an old unsupported android phone? Your account would be fine, you just might not be able to access it. Logging in on a new phone is straight forward its just an email link that verifies your login.

1 Like

Thank you Eden for your reply.
I have an iphone 6 which admittedly is old. I just do not want to buy a new one.
Thanks again for your reply

3 Likes

Thats surprising that the phone would no longer be supported considering security updates are still being released as late as this month, even if it is a 7yr old device.

2 Likes

They may occasionally release some security updates for end of life devices, but they’re only security updates. In this case one addressing some relatively serious webkit issues.

But there are no OS updates, iOS 12 is effectively EOL. I suppose the question is what feature does Freetrade need that they’re presumably dropping iOS 12 support, or maybe it just comes down to cost. iOS 12 represents less than 8% of the world wide iOS version in use.

2 Likes

Yeah what you say makes sense.

I think what I would expect is you can no longer update the app, unless you on iOS 13 or above, rather than not use the app at all - I’ve seen this mentioned in the release notes of many app updates over the yrs. I guess that all depends on how the app actually works.

I\m assuming Apple will sunset iOS 12 with the release of iOS15 later this yr anyhow, so would have been a matter of months before it was a security risk.

1 Like

I have an iphone SE.
It is based on the same hardware as the 6s, which followed on from the 6. The SE is very much supported by Apple.
I’m not buying a new phone.
Please FT release a web version of your platform because I
cannot afford to buy a new 'phone.
I am not rich.
Phones last until they break.

2 Likes

iOS 12.5.3 was released on May 3rd 2021.
Admittedly this contained security fixes. Surely FT app would be concerned about supporting insecure devices rather than whether a device supports Apple Music lossless or Face Unlock.
I updated my ios 12 device this evening.

1 Like

You seemed to completely miss what I said.

Probably. I am good at this.

Thanks for your interest. I am of the belief that FT is a money saver for me as HL cost me a fortune, but if FT can’t accommodate me with a laptop app whatever I’m afraid I’ll have to move to 212 which is a pain as I am waiting about 25 years for my dividends, whereas ft pay immediately.
Once again thank you to every1 on here for help and advice.

1 Like

@Nuckythompson Trading 212 has ‘paused’ new account opening since 2nd Feb '21 and there’s been no announcement of when/if that might change. So, moving to Trading 212 is not currently an option.
I had to buy a new phone to access FT. They need to have a desktop option.

1 Like

It’s a shame that phone development is still moving so fast that a ~7 year old is obsolete by its manufacturers standards. Hopefully things slow at some point. Maybe.

This isn’t meant to sound like a dickish question, but will you really also move bank when they eventually stop supporting the iPhone 6 too?

5 Likes

Wouldn’t a £30-40 android phablet suffice?

1 Like

Wow thanks for all your replies. Being the untecky guy that I am what is a phablet?

Cash Cow not sure what you mean but I am already on 212 and do all my trading on laptop.

And Doubledig as before I’m already on 212 only drawback you wait 25 years for your div. Also they take 25 years to buy an aim listed stock.

2 Likes

Phone/tablet wombo combo, thinking on it’s unnecessary though. A simple android tablet would suffice if it’s just to use apps like Freetrade. Something with 32GB Rom/2GB Ram would be sufficient, Android 9/10 ideally

2 Likes

Banking apps. Credit cards apps. The 212 app. Your messaging service of choice. Just Eat. etc Every app’s going to stop supporting that phone in time. It’s good that you have a laptop too and an alternative broker in mind. My banks require me to have the app - I couldn’t do desktop/laptop only for them.

Please make sure that the laptop more up to date than your phone for security’s sake, I’ve visions of you using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer. Take care and enjoy the 212 experience!

2 Likes

Cheers no beef, al look into android, seems the more I try to be a minimalist the more I have to buy.

3 Likes

Cheers Cashcow, my pc is pretty up to date as I need it for work etc, I just find using a big screen so much easier than a phone. As soon as I’m a millionaire am done wi this tecky stuff. I’m fifty nine and think it will take another 30 years to achieve this, so…

2 Likes

How technically adept are you? If your PC is up to it you could try installing Blustacks (android emulator for PC) and running your android apps on the pc.