Private mode: Hide £ value of portfolio (and personal info?)

I’ve voted for this. It’s not something I would personally use but I can see others using it, although you’d also need to hide the value on each individual stock page (underneath where it tells you how many you own, the value etc.).

Personally I feel it’s good to be more open and share value with people because it gives them a more realistic expectation e.g. 20% gains in Apple could be worth £180 yet a 30% gain in AMD could only be worth £40. I also think mentality is shifting towards people being more open - something that became more common with financial blogs, and even now on here with people’s dividend journey’s on YouTube.

This whole stigma about hiding away our worth is or what we earn is what allowed things like gender pay-gaps to become a thing in the first place, and personally I’d like to encourage discussing value so it’s not something I shy away from.

1 Like

Thanks for voting, I really want to help freetrade outcompete their rivals, and i believe things like this will only help :slight_smile:

I used to feel the same way: I was very open to everyone about my salary, savings and investments -mostly because i enjoy investing. Whilst i think its common sense to treat everyone equally regardless of their financial ‘worth’, I was surprised to learn first-hand how this information can change people’s attitudes towards you. After a particular bad experience, I’ve become far less open with my finances. I’d be far more comfortable sharing FT in private mode, personally. There is also the cybersecurity benefits of private mode to consider. I don’t, of course, have any problem with others choosing to be open.

There’s also a courtesy aspect to it: not everyone can ‘afford’ to invest (hopefully FT will change that), so I think talking about how many thousand pounds I do or don’t have in my portfolio can come across insensitive sometimes.

The gender pay gap is a very real problem, and i also feel the same way about female inclusion In the financial sector. I hope there is a solution out there that doesn’t infringe on privacy, though.

3 Likes

So as an investor I like to keep an eye on Freetrade’s competition (Robinhood, Revolut, Bux, etc) :male_detective: This includes Evarvest, a budding neobroker due to launch in Lithuania & UK by year end. I intended this feature as a USP for Freetrade, so was quite annoyed to see Evarvest blatantly stole this idea:

They made no mention of such a feature in the past that i’ve found, and announced this feature a week after this thread was created :fish:

Sure, there isn’t exactly a patent on this idea so it’s all legally above board. Sure, Freetrade haven’t even built this feature yet. And I do believe competition is healthy, I welcome it even; It just doesn’t sit right with me that - in an apparent failure to think up their own ideas- they follow Freetrade’s budding community only to pilfer ideas from Freetrade members and aren’t being entirely transparent about it all. Then have the audacity to imply they’re leveraging their own community for their ideas :unamused:

Strictly speaking it’s all kosher, and competition is healthy - I get that. I’m just making the truth known :peace_symbol:

1 Like

They have mentioned it before on May 21st. I don’t think they copied the idea from here, it just feels like a obvious extension of being able to follow friends. It’s also something I’ve run into before, where I wanted to show the app but couldn’t without sharing all sorts of information I didn’t want to share hence this post. Also EMMA app has had scramble mode since last year

Competition is good :rocket:

2 Likes

Oh! Couldn’t find that… I have no problem admitting when I’m being an idiot and today was one of those times :upside_down_face: Sorry Evarvest :sweat_smile: I think it was the timing that made me jump to conclusions, not any excuse of course. Relieved actually, as I do admire Steph Brennan as a founder and can continue thinking of the company in a good light.

I had heard about scramble mode before - As I understand it,randomises balances and changes the currency to RMB? Definitely offers privacy, but i’ve always found it confusing - surely it would be easier to just omit the data :man_shrugging:

Thanks @saf

1 Like

No worries, I think most ideas are recycled or recyclable, the key is execution.

I’ve voted for this idea here because some form of privacy will certainly make it easier to show off the stunning Freetrade app.

1 Like

I’d guess they borrowed the idea from other investment portfolio apps. Eg the venerable Yahoo Finance has had it for a long time.

1 Like

I think this is a good idea, just seeing a guy getting rinsed online for having a small portfolio when he really wanted some feedback on his stocks.

3 Likes

Anything that lets people share they’re portfolio without sharing too much is a good idea I think. It could be a good education tool.

4 Likes

Has anyone heard anything further on this post about “Private Mode” that will blur out or hide actual invested amounts and only show percentages? Would be really helpful.

1 Like

View insights tab, portfolio section, then position and you can screenshot your holdings percentages…