Research / News Sources / Podcasts

What are your favourite channels for news or conducting research? I typically jump around the usual business suspects (FT and Alphaville, Bloomberg, Thomson), with a healthy dose of tech (The Verge, Digital Trends etc), and @Viktor got me onto the daily Finimize shots, but it would be great to hear what everyone else is using!

On a separate note, does anyone have any podcast recommendations? I listen to Animal Spirits :bear: each week, and occasionally dip into the FT Alphachat & Exchanges at Goldman Sachs offerings, but can get a bit sleepy listening to some of themā€¦ :zzz:

Edit: I get tons of other daily emails I never read (Axiom AM, MergerMarket, LexisNexis feeds) but others might find them usefulā€¦

7 Likes

For news, I default to Reddit, e.g. r/investing. A lot of the discussions are US-heavy though.

Iā€™m big on emails, too! I read a handful of them in the morning, e.g. Finimize and the Breakfast Briefing from the Market Mogul. The Monevator newsletters have good content, although they come across as a bit old-fashioned for me.

I follow 100+ podcasts, but Invest like the Best is by far the highest quality for me.

6 Likes

Iā€™m going all in with r/wallstreetbets of course.

Iā€™ll check out Invest like the Best though. Since finding out about Freetrade Iā€™ve been reading up about investing a lot more, but I havenā€™t got to Podcasts. Thanks for the link.

3 Likes

WSB! I subscribed to that sub for a few months, but itā€™s too intense for me. :fire:

Patrick Oā€™Shaughnessy (Invest like the Best guy) is worth following on Twitter as well.

A recent good episode was the interview with Facebookā€™s ex Head of Growth, who runs his investment firm Full Tilt Capital now. He said something along the lines he and his partner figured out a way to get cheaper electricity for crypto mining (burning car tyres).

Awful for the environment though, so I hope this ā€œinnovationā€ wonā€™t catch on.

2 Likes

Helps grow an evil empire, then turns his attention to destroying the planet, I can see a pattern emergingā€¦

1 Like

A riveting episode! :male_detective:

r/investing is massive and interesting but sometimes gambling posts like in r/WallStreetBets do come up though

I recently switched to r/stocks and do often have interesting DD posts that are literally swallowing into reading (like Freetrade blog posts :grin: )

2 Likes

Going along the lines of Finimize, I also subscribe to Morning brew which is a great read but less entry level compared to Finimize. Also another great podcast that I listen to is Chat with traders thereā€™s a huge backlog but definitely worth a listen

3 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll check out the Morning Brew. :email:

Thanks, have just received my first Morning Brew, looks good :slight_smile:

1 Like

The FT app is my no.1ā€¦ Companies, Markets, Lex and Alphaville columns daily.

Bloomberg is great because itā€™s free & high qualityā€¦ Technology column once a week

BBC newsā€¦ daily for general world affairs

YouTubeā€¦ Modern Investor, Cryto Investor, Cryto Coin News, Cryto Capital Venture, Tyler S, and the Litecoin Foundation channels mainly to keep up with cryptocurrency.

The Economistā€¦ occasionally I read a free article, especially if itā€™s regarding a tech stock

4 Likes

I just read the about page on Finimize & am struggling to get itā€™s USP/purpose. :thinking:
Is it a news outlet that curates news across different platforms in a concise manner? Also, do they have an app?

2 Likes

Agree here. If I wanted a news feed, I would certainly go to Tip Ranks (AMZN as an example)

They have a really big news database that also determines whether the news are bullish or bearish. It has also got a chart showing the stock price changes and how it correlates to the news that are being published.

4 Likes

Relatively new to this investor game, other than the odd crowdfund round or bitcoin dabble. Excited, and looks like Iā€™ve a lot of reading to do :fire:

5 Likes

Relevant to the research topic: Freetrade Invest Hub

Also, we have a new emoji: :freetrade: !

4 Likes

For people who wish to adopt a buy and hold strategy, I recommend following a number of fairly well known fund managers

• James Anderson of Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust/Baillie Gifford
  • Nick Train of Lindsell Train
  • Terry Smith of Fundsmith

And of course, who can forget, the Oracle of Omaha, Warren.

3 Likes

Byron Wien is a bit of a legend in the investing world. Recommend signing up for his market commentary. https://www.blackstone.com/media/byron-wien-market-commentary

2 Likes

Didnā€™t know him. Thanks, Justin!

Finimize launched their iOS app today. Theyā€™re sharing weekly roundups & alerts in a chatbot UI.

Thereā€™s not much in the app yet so itā€™s too early to rate it but it looks like theyā€™ve done a good job of sticking with their approachable style.

Android app coming :soon:

4 Likes

I wonder if a Tripadvisor for platforms/brokers/robos might be quite a hard thing to do meaningfully when everyoneā€™s journey through each will be different depending on what risk they took on. Dunno.