Search results to include ETFs that contain a stock searched for

When searching for a specific stock, could the search results also include any ETFs Freetrade offer that contain that stock as a holding. It should also list ETF matches when the stock searched for itself isnā€™t directly available (yet) on Freetrade.

So for example, a search for Microsoft, would also return iShares US Tech Sector ETF.

This would have two benefits:

1. Easier to find ETFs that one might be interested in investing in
  2. Demonstrate the breadth of stocks available on Freetrade through ETFs

I appreciate this would be a lot of data to maintain, but I think it would be a valuable feature. (Something Iā€™d be willing be to pay for.)

That just happens to be a Finki feature Iā€™m currently developing for a clientā€¦ it works wellā€¦

Thereā€™s no free/public version of it yet, but I could roll a limited demo out soon I should thinkā€¦

Stay tuned

2 Likes

Thanks. I must admit Iā€™ve not looked into what youā€™re doing. However, after finding your API list, I realise Iā€™m missing out.

1 Like

What have you been doing instead? :upside_down_face:

But now you know - welcome to the club!

Lots more behind the scenes tooā€¦ so if thereā€™s anything you want chances are I have it

:+1:

1 Like

Thatā€™s nifty - do you look at the entire makeup of the ETF or just the reported Top 10 holdings?

3 Likes

Combination of both - depending on whatā€™s availableā€¦ I also do some horribly complex OCR over the monthly factsheets to extract holdings data and the programmatically aligned them to ISINs etcā€¦ Itā€™s a bit of a beast but someone always asks the question ā€œwhat stocks does XYZ invest in?ā€ and this goes some way to answering this recurring questionā€¦ But this function is not public yetā€¦

YES Iā€™ve been looking for this for ages.
@finki
Build it! Build it! Build it!

Crowdfund it? Patreon?

Iā€™ll pay. Whoā€™s in?

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this has already been said but more filter options, so if I wanted a UK stock for a company below a billion market cap that paid dividens I would be able to filter for that.

Or large cap US company with a share price below $150 per share I would be able to filter for that.

Right now I can only filter UK and stock but nothing further unless Iā€™m missing something?

Hi, please add the option to filter the list of stocks in the app by lowest to highest.

Whatā€™s the reasoning behind this feature? The per-share price is not meaningful enough to add this feature in my opinion.

The cost of a company is represented by itā€™s market cap. The share price is simply the market cap divided by the number of shares issued.

For example, a company could have a Ā£1 share price and 10 million shares. Itā€™s market cap is Ā£10m. It would cost Ā£10m to buy all the shares.
Another could have a share price of 2p but 5 billion shares. Itā€™s market cap is Ā£100m.

In the above example, 2p vs Ā£1 is not comparing the size or cost of the company.

If your simply looking for shares you can afford, that wonā€™t be a problem with the imminent release of fractional shares (Freetrade Invest Hub).

7 Likes

I agree that there needs to be a mechanism to search for shares that one can literally afford. When I have a friend sign up I recommend them to put Ā£10 in their account and just buy some shares they find interesting, but thereā€™s no easy way to find the low value shares.

Depends when the fractional shares are launched.

4 Likes

Have a look at the fractional shares feature (Freetrade Invest Hub) that is coming really soon. Basically, if you have Ā£10 to spend, you will be able to buy Ā£10 of anything, regardless of the share price. Unless youā€™re super interested in holding whole numbers of shares, this eliminates the problem.

4 Likes

Of course, sorting and filtering is nice, and this is probably possible. Iā€™m just offering alternatives.

1 Like

I would prefer if there was more options than alphabetical as it unduly weights companies.

Thanks, I know itā€™s in development. Just not sure when itā€™s launching.

Or you want to avoid/minimize counterparty risk.

Hi all, weā€™ll look to add features like A-Z, price filters etc in future.

For now weā€™re focused on delivering fractionals, which should help in terms of finding shares of any value to invest in. :pizza:

2 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s great :+1: but filtering would be great too please :grinning:

1 Like

There is a good thread about this over here: Administering fractional shares

More information will come out closer to the release too.

Is there any news on sorting and filtering in discover? I want to focus on value stocks below or between a certain price point, and thereā€™s no way to do this? I have to currently use a third party site and then check if this stock is available on freetrade - which is annoying and time consuming.