Sectors in Discover šŸ§± šŸšŒ šŸ’Š

Iā€™d call it ā€œDefense and Aerospaceā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Combine that to ā€˜flying death machinesā€™?

3 Likes

You certainly have my vote!

1 Like

If youā€™re an Android user, weā€™ve just enabled this feature for everyone who signed up to test it so far :partying_face:

If youā€™re an iOS user, weā€™ll give you access soon -

3 Likes

Looks good. Did you consider any other options for how to sort it, rather than by number of stocks?

For example, you could put sectors first if it seems to be something people are interested in. That probably wouldnā€™t be based on what theyā€™ve previously bought, but perhaps based on which stocks they been monitoring. A recently viewed might be a better solution to that, though.

Please add biotech, large pharma, healthcare services, medical devices, diagnostics and life sciences.

1 Like

Looks good, a nice way to have a peruse.

Iā€™d say that ā€˜Tech titansā€™ is now redundant, but you probably already know this.

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Initial feedback:

• Like the colours and tabs as they spruce up the discover page.
  • I think stocks belonging to multiple categories might make get messy especially if the investment platform goes live and we get 1000s of new securities

Overall a big step forward. Great work

Iā€™d consider that that a theme, or maybe a sub-sector, rather than a sector.

I like this idea as another investing theme.

4 Likes

I thought that too, but the tech titans are only 12 giant tech companies out of 68. Selasi, the sector lists are alphabetical and tech titans reorders each time you go to the discover page. So Iā€™m not sure itā€™s redundant? At least not totally. Maybe just an option to sort the sector lists by market cap or things other than alphabetical.

Yeah, probably not redundant, but possibly a little out of placeā€¦ especially with ā€˜Techā€™ having the coveted first spot in the sectorā€™s list. Itā€™s not like there are any other sub-groups.

(Iā€™m not counting the newly added or popular categories).

Anyhoo, just my feedback.

It works!

Some feedback:
I know it must have been really hard to determine sectors, Iā€™m interested in the logic for them. I might have looked at where the revenue is generated, and if that was a significant proportion for the company (e.g over 25%) then it could be in that sector, or if they are made up of lots of small revenues, then goes into the biggest category. I guess then you might start adding companies into too many sectors.

Sub-sectorā€¦ E.g in entertainment, a sub-sector could be gambling. Maybe look at how Google Play does navigation around categories as a possible inspiration.

Tech is bloated. While sub sectors might help cutting up into hardware/software/website/service

Transportation/delivery sector? Where are stocks like ups or FedEx going to go? Could it be merged with cars or put all the delivery services separately.

How many stocks are currently not categorised? Will you be adding ETFs into the sectors? Will there be a separate category for ones that can not be put into a sector? Will the categories be added to the Freetrade Securities Universe spreadsheet?

Oh and there are always the question of sorting and filtering to see the list differently (apart from alphabetical!)

Just initial thoughts and questionsā€¦ Good job so far everyone, keep it up!

I donā€™t know if itā€™s been mentioned before, but having a category along the lines of ā€œsustainabilityā€ or ā€œgreen energyā€ might be nice as well, including selections such TRIG?

2 Likes

It seems like there are a lot of different opinions on what constitutes a sector.

Meanwhile, Freetrade has 17 sectors so Iā€™m not sure where they came from.

Based on some of the comments here, it seems people are more interested in a feature like Evarvestā€™s ā€œSpotify Style Investment Playlistsā€ that they say will ā€œmake it simple for you by breaking it down into easy picking playlists and popular trading categoriesā€.

Iā€™m not sure how I feel about the Spotify Style part of that (I use Google Music lol) but it does sound like a better way of showing people stocks they may be interested in than simply which broad sector they fit into.

Coming back to Freetradeā€™s 17 sectors, it seems like something between GICS sectors and playlists.

:thinking:

It would be interesting to see lists similar to places like morningstar, f.e. Defensive, Cyclical and then subsections within them. Although donā€™t know if that counts as investment advice :thinking:

Thanks to everyone for feedback :raised_hands:

Weā€™ve taken an approach that takes our current universe into consideration hence limiting the sectors to 17, we will, however, add more as we expand our universe to reflect these where necessary. These sectors consider the core business offering as well as a potential secondary sector that a company may operate in (if significant), this is why some are exposed in 2 sectors. :cowboy_hat_face: Weā€™ve chosen easy to understand language for all levels of investors to find what they are looking for while indicating the exposure to a specific sector that a stock is strongly correlated with.

Having that said, we are working on constantly improving how we can better showcase this to everyone. Currently, ETFs are not considered within the sectors but this is something we will look to add in the future. As we tend to normally do, we ship features where we can see instant value add, take on feedback, comments, data, etc, and then iterate the feature to improve the experience.

We hope that everyone is enjoying the use of this new feature and we will enable it for more people as well as on iOS next week.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming :muscle:

Happy testing!

Apologies for interrupting the topic but I was trying to reply to @Freetrade_Team1 and couldnā€™t get it to tag him. Realised heā€™s suspended? Whatā€™s happening, did I miss something?

9 Likes

Thats a real shame to hear - heā€™s been a great asset for the company in terms of handling comms with style and talent!

9 Likes

Agreed. A real gent.

3 Likes

@jani Awesome stuff. User experience is gold for growth and user retention. So 17 or around that number would make it easier. Simple but not simpler. You offer too much choiceā€”e.g. toothpaste at a supermarketā€”and people spend even more time looking at products without making a decision?

I have had to deal with sector classification in the past and itā€™s a pain because there are so many standards. I am convinced people donā€™t care as long as they can find what they are looking forā€”search (www.google.com search bar vs Yahooā€™s lists in the 1990s). Habits. Old school finance habits vs habits of 2019 users.

A challenge could be that one userā€™s Tesla is in Tech, while another thinks itā€™s in Cars. Thatā€™s a database issue and a recommender UX thing more than anything. One personā€™s electronic music is another personā€™s techno, house, etc :upside_down_face: Is Metallica a metal band?

2 Likes