Uber 🤖 🚕 - UBER

$41.63 now & sinking :grimacing: who knows there it’ll end

:joy:

7 Likes

Hahaha hilarious.

Uber performance was as expected, least surprising thing this week.

There’s just something not so strange about unprofitable companies trying to IPO

Uber is a :lemon:

This comment from CIO at Capital Innovations sums this up for me:

8 Likes

I see Uber’s flop as a healthy sign for the markets though - it would be more worrying if Uber surged on Day 1

3 Likes

I think the question Now with UBER is, when to buy and at what price point? Is it going to reach as low as $30? then buy? or wait to see if it hits $25?
clearly markets are skeptical, with reason as per last Q losses. But, what about long term? I mean long long, like 3 to 5 years?

It’s more the Market Cap that puts me off. I can’t justify $63.69B.

I would maybe start thinking about investing when it’s below $30/$40B

1 Like

3 to 5 years is long long term? :thinking:

4 Likes

Facebook when first IPO’d dropped to $18 around ($50B at that time I think) over the next 4-5 weeks. They were targeting 30-40 IPO price back then. Start maybe cost averaging. We can’t time the bottom.

FB is 180 dollars now with 520B market cap.

1 Like

That’s a easy one for me, not gonna touch it with a barge pole

2 Likes

in this context yes, but I agree, long term should be longer… :slight_smile: … now, how long do you guys think it would take for the company to turn around? there are so many examples of companies that lost money for many years, now they are worth x5 x10… look at amazon, after years of skepticism.

even at $25? … how about $20? there’s a price for everything… unless you are expecting bankruptcy :slight_smile:

Yes, but Amazon IPO’d at a valuation of $438M, there was much more room to grow & at the time had almost no major competitors

5 Likes

Bankruptcy is a possibility. I don’t believe their business model will dominate in a way that would justify the high valuation.

There isn’t necessarily a price for everything, I can find safer places to put my money that Uber

5 Likes

I think once the driveless electric cars come into the market Uber will be super profitable. Looking long term

I kinda disagree with this. There are so many variables that favour ubers demise with autonomous cars.

I’m not an expert in the area but my concerns would be that uber don’t actually build cars, their competition from tesla here is a real factor. In fact most car producers will be better equipped to slot an autodrive in their car in the future than uber will be to build a car around their auto drive system.

Which also raises the point that if everyone owns a car that drives itself, why would we need taxis? 9 times out of 10 if I need a taxi its because I’ve had alcohol. If I own a self driving car, rideshare is redundant.

So I’m very sceptical to say the least

1 Like

I do not think judging by the stock price is healthy. To me, it is about profitability prospects in some, possibly distant, future. As it stands, the gap between revenue and expenditure rises consistently, showing increasing losses on every dollar they earn. Uber being that huge by now means that they should find efficiencies and somehow save where a smaller firm could not, but for some reason they don’t.

Until that path is clear and Uber paves its path to profitability, which is not some distant questionable technology (self-driving cars) but rather a realistic solution, it does not matter whether their share price is $45 or $10.

3 Likes

imo Tesla has an advantage in pretty much every way, disregarding its ability to manufacture:

billions of data miles and over 500k strong fleet
proprietary chip & neural net
best automotive software capabilities

I’m not even a proponent in autonomous ridesharing, I personally think its a seriously problematic idea, if not outright impossible in its current form, so I definitely wouldn’t invest, but even if I would I wouldn’t be touching the apps. Why would I when Tesla is out there training its AI right now and Google is orders of magnitude more powerful? And that’s saying a lot given Tesla’s issues right now…

2 Likes

Three problems with that - the leading autonomous car by volume has explicitly stated they will ban Uber from using their autonomous mode software. Uber doesn’t have any cars right now, owning the cars would completely change their business. Finally their current drivers will do all they can to sabotage that shift. They may manage this transition, but it is far from a foregone conclusion and is at least 5-10 years away.

1 Like

You right, but I think Uber eventually will move towards services also. Such as food delivery and when autonomous uber cars will be in place. Services such as. When you call an uber he will pass by on the way to pick your groceries from waitrose and your dry cleaning. I do believe we will have driverless taxis in the future. I am talking 20-30 Years. not 5 years. it takes time to disrupt the system. therefore it may not even be Uber. Maybe amazon will take the market who knows. But with Data Uber got right now. I feel they are in really good position of taking a move furthen than taxi and food.

1 Like