UK to require all new homes to include EV chargers!

The UK is now said to be the first country to require all new homes to include smart chargers for electric vehicles.

This is the article I jusy came across: England will be first country to require new homes to include EV chargers [Update]

With that in mind, is there a specific company or two we should be turning out attention to tomorrow morning?

6 Likes

Great news… Just two other issues… Where to charge a car… And the cost of electric…

1 Like

Well this is literally part of the solution to where to charge as its going to result in far more availability.

As for the cost of electric, I’m guessing you mean electric vehicles as the fuel is far far cheaper. But the vehicles are dropping in price at a huge rate. Pretty soon you’ll be getting second hand electric cars at a similar price to what you buy your second hand as now.

3 Likes

The scale up company, JustPark, is doing a lot in this space and just partnered with Octopus Energy to rollout further access to charging points across the U.K.

1 Like

Sounds great! Shame they aren’t available on Freetrade or I may have transferred a bit tomorrow morning. Still good to keep an eye on though

I need you rich people to keep buying new electric cars and then sending them to the 2nd hand market please. Prices for 2nd hand cars are still insane - £4500 for a ten year old Nissan Leaf that might only do 60 miles in winter is just bonkers. Even if it suited my travel needs, I wouldn’t pay anything near that.

Hopefully when all these Tesla Model 3s currently on leases enter the 2nd hand market it will really push the older/previous gen prices down. If I could pick up a Zoe, without battery lease and a winter range of ~100-125 miles for £5000 then I’d be tempted

3 Likes

Not sure if there are any publicly traded electric charge point companies? Also, there’s not much of a moat in the area. I assume the technology is pretty simple and it’s pretty straightforward for new companies to start installing these or manufacturing them.

I like to think a bit more abstractly. Will there be more demand for night-time power supply in the future and how will this be supplied. Solar doesn’t work at night, they either need traditional fossil fuel plants to keep running or need energy storage systems or something new / nuclear.

Average UK house uses 10kWh per day, electric vehicle takes about 10kWh to charge for 30 miles. So, that’s a lot of extra electricity draw at night and none of it can be directly powered by solar.

2 Likes

Charging point manufacturer, Andersen EV had a fund raise via Crowdcube. I have a handful of shares.
There are various domestic charging point companies out there already, some being subsidiaries of existing larger established listed companies.
https://andersen-ev.com/

2 Likes

The future is clearly electric so having EV charge point installed on new homes is good thing.

Im looking at going electric next year with an EV, solar panels, battery storage and charge point as its much more affordable these days.

Was even considering a mini wind turbine but those are just too expensive at the moment!

5 Likes

There are quite a few charging SPACs that have or are imminently going public but perhaps the one best suited for this legislation is Wallbox, merging with KCAC. They have a significant presence in the UK, and a wide range of residential wallboxes, including many that are V2G compliant which I imagine will be a prerequisite for newbuilds. They’re not the cheapest valuation-wise compared to their peers but sometimes you just have to pay over the odds. Waiting for an entry after close.

2 Likes

So, can anyone to explain to me how we are going to magic up all these brand new power stations needed to charge up all these cars.

In the US it’s been calculated that somewhere like Maine, with similar weather and electrical usage to the UK, would need to increase its electricity creation capacity by over 50% if every car was electric.

It’s nonsense thinking.

1 Like

Probs going to be a drive for both battery and hydrogen tbh.

Imo hydro just seems like a better choice for vehicles, partly due to refuel time.

1 Like

Sure. We don’t need to.

The Fully Charged channel on YouTube is an excellent resource for learning about the vehicle and energy transition. It dispells a lot of the common myths, like that one.

2 Likes

I like the idea of LGVs going that route.

That’s all good for new homes, parking cars is another issue as well as in general cars etc on the road.

I seem to travel to and from my house stuck in 40mph traffic everyday because some slow person makes another slow person and then the 3rd person won’t or can’t overtake so we end up in a train of traffic for miles.

They seem to be reducing the speeds everywhere I think they should increase the speeds as no one ever sits at 60mph anyways.

House wise my full Street has no parking, doors that face the opposite way from the street so no car can get near the house.

They would have to make charing points at the street with allocations for house numbers which ofc won’t work due to a household having like 4 cars between them each.

Else I run a cable from my house to the car and hope people don’t trip over it lol

1 Like

I was thinking that, i live on a small estate with 118 houses yet there must be 300 cars and work vehicles parked up at night and what about people in flats? Unless you bring the battery in the house i can’t see how it works.

1 Like

Answer is shops :+1: You will see more and more points in Tesco etc to draw in customers so they charge while shopping so no need for a home point. I do hope/wish hydrogen would happen as that would mean old cars could be used rather than replace every car and the materials etc but it probably won’t happen.

3 Likes

Well the news came out the other day if you would like to have a read. Interesting

1 Like

From my calculation above, if every house switched to an EV that would double the electricity draw of each house. What was their solution?

New builds make sense to put this the seller because it forces them to put necessary infrastructure in place; if someone doesn’t own a car they can find a way to monetize it I’m sure, particularly in the big cities.

What worries me slightly more as a homeowner though is that at some point the logical next step is to mandate that to sell a home you must install one. I don’t currently own a car at all (my car was already on its way out and covid/wfh made ditching sooner without replacing a no-brainer). If I were to move before needing a car, indeed if I were decide to go carless longer term, I would expect not to be compelled to do it unless it were in my interests.

I’m not full-on free-market capitalist where environmental issues are concerned but this isn’t an environmental issue; not owning a car is infinitely more environmentally friendly than owning an EV, and within my lifetime owning a fossil fuel car won’t be a tenable option.