UK to require all new homes to include EV chargers!

This is incredible unlikely to happen, the regulations would be unwieldy just to carve out the unsuitable properties. Flats, listed buildings, homes with no parking, non traditional build with fire issues.

It might become worthwhile to fit one to appeal to new buyers, you can get them for a few hundred quid, but only in the same way you might repaint the hallway.

3 Likes

There are plenty of solutions. 2030 is just the beginning and with the average car lasting 15+ years we could be talking a generation before this is a real problem.

Charging cars over night when power is cheap and is not well used is a good start.
Smart grid upgrades to use the cars as battery storage.
Micro generation (Solar PV)

This information is out there and as @CashCow said YouTube channels like Fully Charged do a great job making it accessible.

1 Like

Completely agree with your reasoning for why it might not happen. My counter to that would be that EV charging will require the single biggest infrastructure revolution since at LEAST the dawn of the motorway, debateably since running water and proper sewage became the norm in the late 19th century. It would not at all surprise me if a Government - of whatever political persuasion - felt a need to spread the burden.

1 Like

The burden is a few hundred quid so the downside risk isn’t that high.

I don’t think it is an infrastructure revolution on those scales for most people. There are plenty of homes not on the gas or sewage grid so septic tanks and LPG fill the gap.

It’s a large change but rolling out full fibre to the door broadband seems a far harder project and that’s been tackled using a public private partnership. We’ve got a company running FFTD and selling 100mb for £29pm - it’s being done next year on my street.

3 Likes

I’m referring to the infrastructure revolution of how to charge cars on a national scale. Firstly it will involve increased power generation (how the cars are charged are irrelevant to this; it’s going to need to happen), secondly, the physical infrastructure needed to charge what I presume by then will be in excess of 40 million vehicles; I base that on these figures; on current growth we’ll hit 40 million registered vehicles in five years.

It would make perfect sense for the Government to focus on terraced housing, motorways and hospitals for public infrastructure, I entirely expect and want them to do this even if it’s not in my personal interest, but I suspect once they get their claws into the cost, work, timeframe involved, they’ll palm off as much of all other areas as possible to anyone else. Whoever “they” might be, this is an apolitical statement.

If the range is there then it’s really just the price of electricity thats the issue. Since no one really fills up the car with fuel at home right now anyway.

1 Like

No, but firstly even if superfast charging were for argument’s sake to become a trivial matter in a few years, that’s still 30 minutes vs 3 minutes today to refuel. Even allowing for half the population charging overnight at home at all times, that’s still a fivefold increase in charging capacity vs fuel capacity if we’re going like-for-like, plus the national productivity cost of the extra time. Secondly, there are no significant implications for the supply chain, the national grid, and so forth, when someone refuels; for the same to be true of EVs you’d need an absolute minimum of 50% of charging to be done at night (in reality the optimum percentage would be more like 75%). New homes alone won’t cover it, nor will even a very impressive voluntary takeup rate among those who have drives get us to that critical mass point.

I digress from the main topic but IMO it’s an interesting one. The wider discussions around EVs and the change in our use of fuels and technologies, and the practical and policy by-products surrounding it, are things that might become relevant across all sorts of investment sectors in the coming years.

I imagine along with hydrogen vehicles (which is equatable to carbon fuel filling time, is a readily available source for motors is actually a better play imo for this reason) an optimisation of how we use the grid not just in terms with cars, but power saving in all aspects of life to first reduce power draw (where applicable). I imagine batteries installed into houses so energy usage can be staggered and optimised as well. Moreover, A.I. within cars and cities could help the driver optimise schedules/charging if they are on a battery car.

I get it’s a challenge but it’s not impossible. It just needs to be integrated in a sweet bang for buck fashion so joe bloggs gets in there like swimwear.

There are lamposts available with integral chargers. Also chargers can be fitted that rise up from the kerb for use.

1 Like

The new generation of nuclear along with a mix of renewables and gas are all planned / coming on stream. If the government want to kick start and other PV boom they just need to up the feed in tariff or offer cheap battery storage via a grant. It’s a big challenge and one to be taken seriously but nothing on the scale of digging up every street to install sanitation.

I’m not sure I follow your trail of though on these 3 things.

It’s worth remembering that a public private partnership can be used here, the private companies would generate income from these public chargers. They can be built into street furniture. Street parked cars and city cars do less miles so require less frequent charging.

2 Likes

Yep and the moment we get near the tipping point for EV the private companies will be fighting over putting in points to make money. Just look at Shell offering to pay for points to councils. :+1:

2 Likes

What will the power source be is the question, from an investing perspective. There will be double the load. If anyone has a summary that would be great or link to the specific video part.

I am a buyer of EO charging which recently SPAC’d.

1 Like
  • Power stations, other than nuclear, are not utilised at full capacity.
  • Renewable energy, you get tides every 6 hours and wind 24hrs a day.
  • Localised battery storage, homes do not use much power in the middle of the day when they’re generating peak power.

There is no silver bullet a d this won’t be a walk in the park but energy consumption rising is not a new problem.

2 Likes

IKEA famously sell food as a loss leader to keep people in their stores. If as a business you could offer at cost charging and in return you’re guaranteed 3 hours of someones time it’s a cheap way of acquiring that sort of attention.

BP & She’ll have not made quite big inroads into EV charging points.

3 Likes

I see the supermarkets offering something along the lines of the 5p a litre discount for charging. Maybe for every full charge you get X off your shopping for example or vice versa.

1 Like

I’m looking at it from an investing perspective, I’m not trying to say EV won’t happen or anything like that. I’m looking at where will there be growth in power supplies that will be taking market share aware from vehicle fuel suppliers.

1 Like

Sorry I’ve reread my message it the last sentence was a little dismissive - unintentional I assure you.

I see this as a dispersion rather than and easy like for like replacement. EV’s won’t require the servicing that ICE do and even the CEO of ChargePoint talked about how his network would be the primary source for charging.

Investable spaces looks to be energy generation, battery storage & EV makers but I don’t know about specifics and the latter is widely inflated already.

2 Likes

This is the answer, Bugsy Malone pedal cars.
bm

4 Likes

I wanted one of those forever