"Up by £xx since you began investing" discrepancy

Hiya everyone - newbie Freetrade investor here. I’ve put together an excel sheet using the stocks rich data type to try and keep track of my portfolio. I just cannot, however, seem to quite match the £ value displayed on the portfolio page.

I’ve triple checked that all the calculations work out to the current value of each share and the calculated value for each position held is spot on in excel i.e. it matches with Freetrade perfectly.

But when I work out the total current value of my portfolio minus the total cost of those shares it does not give me the value that is shown on the portfolio page (the Up by £xx since you began investing line). According to my sheet, the total value of my portfolio is up by is £3,58 but according to Freetrade it is £7,87.

I don’t know why there is a discrepancy between the two and it is driving me nuts. I know it isn’t a large amount but I want to iron out any bugs in my calculations so that once I have more invested it doesn’t show correspondingly huge differences.

Any comments and tips are appreciated, thank you!

2 Likes

Have you accounted for dividends and interest?

2 Likes

Hi Ralf - I’ve only had the account since the 23rd of July so there have been no dividends or interest as yet.

1 Like

Do you know how much you’ve deposited?

In my ISA I know exactly how much I’ve put in, I’ve never taken anything out, and the “up by” figure is exactly right if I subtract amount deposited from current value.

1 Like

I’ll have to check that out. I was playing around a bit in the beginning so I have a GIA as well as an ISA now. I can get the totals deposited from my Monzo account. I’ve probably complicated matters because when I first opened my ISA I didn’t realise you had to switch to that account to fund it and so I funded my GIA instead. A kind person at Freetrade moved it across for me, but that move doesn’t show up on my activity feed. It is a bit strange to me that you have to fund separately. I would have had one fund account and the ability to allocate as desired. But I’m sure there are restrictions they have to work within that I know nothing about.

1 Like

How you counted any free shares?

1 Like

Hi Luke - yeah I have accounted for the free share. I’ve just added it as part of the portfolio. Below is what my excel tracker kinda looks like at the moment. ReneSola was my free share.

1 Like

Just looking at your data by eye, it looks very suspect.

RMG has the same price as buy price but you made 0.01 profit.
LLOY has the same price as buy price but you made 0.28 profit.

2 Likes

Thanks Ralf - you are absolutely right. Rats. I don’t know why that is happening. I need to re-look at that. It seems to depend on when I refresh the stock data within excel. It wasn’t doing that when I initially set the sheet up. Nice catch, I totally didn’t even think to look there as I had done the initial tests and they were all good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.