Volatility Index

VIX futures is up 16%. VIX index up 45%.

You know old adage “Sell in May and go away”.

For long term investors, it should be seen as an opportunity. Research great dividend growth companies while traders scramble and buy them on the dip!

Isn’t that almost 50%? :wink:

1 Like

I meant Futures VIX… is up 16%.

You’re right on the screenshot above. It is the actual Index… holy cow 45%!

Closing was 12.87 last friday, today it’s 18.73 ~ 45%

Now is there an opportunity to Short the index that is 45% and buy the futures that is up 15%? There’s a spread of 30% to capture. Just curious.

I don’t think that it is simple. If it was, the spread should be close to zero.
Volatility trading is for professionals.

1 Like

VIX above 30 is when the fun starts.

Nah it’s just that oaf in the oval office, no reason for the VIX to jump, the economy is sound. Threatening to derail the economy with an all out trade war is not good. Market should be back to normal by Friday.

1 Like

That is a very nice logo you’ve got there

1 Like

Volatility index spiking.

1 Like

Death of days gains in one tweet! Gees

Europe is practically on life support at this point, UK could be recessionary by the end of the year. Really was hoping we would last until xmas or early next year.

Starting to feel very much like a death knell…

Wow my portfolio has been slammed this morning over 2% down in minutes, damn, time to buy then I guess :grinning:

Looking quite red across all UK stocks in discover tab at the moment… Good luck!

Red across the board, just in time for my monthly Freetrade top-up.

Buying opportunity is upon us.

VIX spiking up 35%.

1 Like

46% VIX rise today: :thinking:
Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 22.18.00

Prepare for a bounce back tomorrow:

Corona also allegedly peaked in China, although not yet in the rest of the world and a pandemic may still happen. Moderna sent off its vaccine for testing, Gilead has a promising option with remdesivir, and others are in the race. A real vaccine may be some time out, but feels like the news narrative has started to change.

Not bouncing but dipping again :joy:

Going down down down! Ouch. :joy:

1 Like

Unless you’re planning on buying it may be worth deleting the app / not looking at the news for a few days :joy:

2 Likes

I am fine, sitting close to a defribilator in the office.

:+1:t2:

3 Likes