We're crowdfunding on Thursday 14th May 🎈

Is this the wrong time to mention I still haven’t taken my socks from their protective wrapper? I’m hoping a secondary market will emerge and they will become like Star Wars collectibles from the 70s… :rofl:

11 Likes

Yes finally caught up in time to get in on this :ok_hand::blush:

1 Like

Maybe you could post this in the side hustles thread too :wink:

1 Like

How many shares are in issue at the moment?

How many shares are going to be available for this round?

Cheers.

Will you be investing in Freetrade?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe (waiting for more info)

0 voters

51,747,373 shares currently issued, according to the recent filing on Companies House.

(So a share price of 1.94 would give a pre-money valuation at 100m… :woman_shrugging:)

6 Likes

I’m going to skip this one. I’d rather hold on to the cash in this environment. While I’m confident Freetrade will carry on growing I don’t want to increase exposure to illiquid investments

15 Likes

I’m holding onto my “Mondo” card for the same reason…

4 Likes

bring it.

Ill put a bit in. only for eis. Like a big discount. I’ve already invested way more than I should for something like this and I need to remind myself any company can go bust. How would freetrade fair if HL lifted fees. Or reduced them to a quid? Could happen overnight

17 Likes

Risking of attracting ire of would be IPO millionaires but frankly I dont see much potential in fintech unicorns in the long term .Price grow wise.Or even as a business model.I dont see even the scenario where a huge bank or " brick and mortar " financial institution would sweep in and buy it up fantastically benefiting the initial investors.

Specifically concerning brokerage industry where the likes of Ajbell, roobinhood and hargreaves lansdown are attempting to grow by offering what they think is what their clients want I fail to see the value in the long term for their business model.
I mean AJ Bell and Hargreaves and IG think they can get away with charging commision by leveraging their perceived trustworthiness that stems from their long history of offering their services.
It doesnt hurt to remember that they have a rather modest history to back up their robustness claims anyway In the case of Hargreaves if Im not mistaken is like what 30 years? the firm was grounded by a guy in his bedroom in the 80th.
If I were to go with a history backed name I would go with a behemoth like HSBS or barclays who go back right the end of opium wars.Why would I overpay for a brand name that is relatively still a baby when compared with century old banks.
Speaking of which I dont see why wouldnt they decide tomorrow to offer free stock trading to their customers thus knocking the chair under the free trade brokers of today.It can totally happen.

1 Like

That was unbelievably hard to follow haha. Are you in or as your name suggests… out?

17 Likes

That’s excellent news ! FT is absolutely right to use their current traction in order to solidify the support of their community and raise some more cash. I suspect that this round will also allow FT to finance its European expansions, which will be very costly. It will also put them in a better position for their VC round: the less money you need, the more they want to throw it at you, especially if the business continues to boom.

Regarding the valuation, don’t forget that the higher the valuation, the more FT will need to deliver in order to raise a subsequent up-round. Typically, VC’s are looking for 2 to 3x returns between rounds… I expect this rounds share price to be 2x vs R5.

I see a lot of people talking about an IPO, which I find extremely far-fetched (to say the least) considering FTs current size. Having participated in a highly successful IPO recently, I can tell you from experience that it is an extremely rare event. Only a few chosen superstar start-ups get the chance to go public, and the process is excruciatingly costly, long, and painful. From my perspective, a much more realistic outcome would be a sale to a bank/brokerage business or a neo bank (Monzo or N26?) in the next 3 years, once the customer figure is in the millions and the company has positive unit economics.

11 Likes

Who was it?

1 Like

The higher the valuation gets, the less likely that becomes, do the likes of Monzo or N26 have a couple of hundred million lying around for aquisitions?

Can’t say :slight_smile:

True, but companies typically raise a round to finance big acquisitions. It’s more wishful thinking than very probably, I still think that an established player/bank will buy FT.

2 Likes

You can’t say which company had an IPO? Isn’t that news public knowledge hence the P

10 Likes

Only if its actually happened. He may be under an NDA either way as well.

Even if you’re party to an NDA, post IPO, of course you can disclose the name of the listed business. The information is no longer restricted or privileged if it’s public.

4 Likes